Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Tech Tips/DIY/How To (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f156/)
-   -   Chrome Removal (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f156/chrome-removal-44000.html)

zim112 06-28-2012 09:49 AM

Chrome Removal

What is the trick to removing the chrome strip along the doors? Is it hard to do and does the adhesive leave any marks on the paint.

JTS97Z28 06-28-2012 10:44 AM

Re: Chrome Removal

No trick to it just start at the ends between the front and rear door and pry it out enough so that you can grab it and just yank it off.
Just an FYI some might want to be careful and re-use them later, but that method requires more time and patience and probably using some sort of fishing line and maybe a heat gun. Either way if you want to re-use them sometime your gonna have to re-apply double sided tape.
My thoughts were that if I ever want to use them again I will just buy all new mouldings with the tape applied. They are pretty cheap so it wasnt worth it to me to be careful and remove them so they dont bend or crack.

So again, just pry an edge up, once you get enough to get a finger behind it just pull it off the car. Some double sided tape will stay on the car, just peel it right off. Then when your done wipe the area down with a cloth or whatever to get the dirt and adhesive off. Its very simple. The toughest part is prying an edge up enough to get your finger under it. I used a old credit card.

James

zim112 06-28-2012 03:37 PM

Thank you! I want to try and turn them into a black chrome finish along with the other chrome pieces. I have seen a lot of users either take them off or just have them painted to match the vehicle color. I think having these pieces changed into a black chrome would look sharp.

Justal13 06-28-2012 04:25 PM

Just grabbing and pulling is a recipe for damage to your sheet metal, paint or the trim being removed if not done carefully. You will want to save the trim for possible re-installation. The side chrome trim for a GC is about $300 for all four pieces.

Use round (not flat) dental floss or nylon fishing line in a "sawing" motion to "cut" the foam tape holding the chrom trim or emblems in half. After the trim or emblem is off, use liberal dousing of WD-40 (let soak for a few minutes) to remove any foam tape remaining on your paint.

WD-40 is harmless to your paint, and is actually a good bug and tar remover.

Now go back and remove the residual adhesive from your trim using WD-40, followed by a wipe-down of rubbing alcohol and then a water chaser. This will allow for reinstallation of 3M bodyside-molding tape for possible future reinstallation (or sale on eBay).

Wipe any residue off your GC with a microfiber towel, wax if you want. Best luck.

norcal_g 06-28-2012 05:38 PM

I'd recommend using 3M Spray Adhesive Remover. It specifically says that it works on car paint and I've had better luck with it than WD40 or Goo Gone. Just my $0.02.

MotorCityMike 08-28-2012 10:20 PM

I almost forgot about the dental floss+ wd-40 trick. Justal13, how did it work out for you? Pictures?