Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Troubleshooting/Problems (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f203/)
-   -   a.c clutch (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f203/a-c-clutch-44011.html)

hoffmanestates 06-28-2012 03:26 PM

a.c clutch

the clutch.on my 4.7 burnt up as its cheapo rubber. cam I just get a clutch and be done with it or need new compressor

Turbo charged G2X using tapatalk 2

Frango100 06-28-2012 03:46 PM

Re: a.c clutch

Clutch can be changed separately.
Just found one on Rockauto.com, $ 215,00:eek:
They sell complete compressors with clutch for less overthere as well, DENSO, OE supplier, for $ 205,00.

2005JGC 06-28-2012 11:30 PM

lol, If you didnt have bad luck you would have no luck, sorry buddy... As stated, seems the last compressor clutch I looked into for my brothers neon it was like 20 bucks more for a reman compressor. Yeah you have to deal with evac and recharge too unlike swapping the clutch but its up to you.

hoffmanestates 06-29-2012 05:36 AM

I'm aware of all what needs to e done. its cheaper to do clutch. then u don't need receiver dryer,orafic tube,o rings, and freon. and reman clutch is more durable as its not rubber like the one I have

hoffmanestates 06-30-2012 02:12 PM

I will post pics on how I repaired the a.c clutch. later

hoffmanestates 07-01-2012 10:22 AM

3 Attachment(s)

top pic is what I installed bottom 2 are broken clutch pieces

kennzz05 07-01-2012 12:19 PM

nice work thanks for the pics
really shouldnt have to change all those parts you mentioned unless the system becomes contaminated

hoffmanestates 07-01-2012 01:03 PM

the clutch is external... u never open.up.the system... I left the old magnet and it was no good so had to replace it all.. I got the compressor at junk yard for 100 they.told.me it was a direct.replacement but wasn't it was one mounting hole.off. so I swapped clutches. and luckily it worked

kennzz05 07-01-2012 01:11 PM

im aware of that, just saying that list of parts you mentioned sounds like the kinda stuff the dealer wants to change every time they open a system and in my opinion isnt always needed. glad you were able to fix it cheaply

hoffmanestates 07-01-2012 01:32 PM

ahhhh... properly u need to do a drier and orific tube

2005JGC 07-01-2012 03:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kennzz05 (Post 650376)
im aware of that, just saying that list of parts you mentioned sounds like the kinda stuff the dealer wants to change every time they open a system and in my opinion isnt always needed. glad you were able to fix it cheaply

I would agree with this statement... Unless you have an internal failure of the compressor filling the system up with crap, an external failure doesnt peticularly mean the other items require replacement. The reciever drier and expansion valve (this is not an orifice tube system) are not a bad idea to replace while you have the system apart, but not vital without an internal failure.

With a compressor failure or the system having been left open for a period of time (say a large hole where a condensor took a big rock), if your just replacing a failed clutch (or a compressor due to a failing clutch) The other stuff is just additional, extra money.

I will say, typically to maintain a warranty on a new compressor the reciever drier (or accumulator on an orifice tube system) must be replaced no matter the reason for replacement.

hoffmanestates 07-01-2012 05:37 PM

yea cause warranty is.voided.... I.didnt know these.were expansion chamber systems...... well I'm.this heat index 100*+ weather in.Chicago she cools.down to about.60