Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner

Flush mounted front plate......

2K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  Overspin 
#1 ·
Has anyone done that? How did it work out?

My dealer did not mount the front plate bracket. (I have it, and could mount it, but would rather not stick this big plastic holder on the front). The dealer said most customers want to have no holes drilled in the front bumper cover, and will then install a Show and Go (or Hide & Go) (or Stow & Go) flip-up license bracket.

I looked into these, and they don't look very practical for ski country. Would definitely fill with snow or ice or road salt, and freeze in place. Plus they will get ripped off if you chin your baby on a parking curb.

I bought two smoked bubble covers for the front and back plates, and plan to mount the front flush to the bumper with a vinyl backer to prevent abrasion. Has anyone done something like this? How did it work out? Do you have any advice for installation, or is it a simple matter of drill a pilot and bolt in place?:confused:

#4 ·
I did. Put the plate against the front bumper where I wanted it, taped it in place, marked the holes and tapped a small opening with the drill, then screwed in the screws. Fits perfectly on bumper above the lower black stuff and is nearly flush.

Whether you use the plate holder or not, there is drilling into the bumper, so I figured I would rather there not be a big bracket on there.

#6 ·
Why not just use 3M molding tape? On my last mercedes I did not want to drill into the bumper to mount a euro plate. I use 3M molding tape to hold the euro bracket and plate, it never moved an inch. It can be removed with no damage if you ever move or sell to another state that does not require front plates. Plus it provides a foam protection from any abrasions.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.