Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Tires (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f185/)
-   -   all wheel drive and buying tires (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f185/all-wheel-drive-and-buying-tires-44041.html)

stucci22 06-29-2012 10:58 AM

all wheel drive and buying tires

Hi,
I was told by my dealer that because my jeep Cherokee is all wheel drive I have to replace all four tires at the same time.. I have brand new tires on the rear and about a year old tires on the front with good life still. They claim that my 4 wheel drive is in constant changing mode and using up fluid all because of the tires being different sizes. Is this correct or they just wanting to sell 4 new tires.

tfranzone 06-29-2012 03:28 PM

Re: all wheel drive and buying tires

Quote:

Originally Posted by stucci22 (Post 649663)
Hi,
I was told by my dealer that because my jeep Cherokee is all wheel drive I have to replace all four tires at the same time.. I have brand new tires on the rear and about a year old tires on the front with good life still. They claim that my 4 wheel drive is in constant changing mode and using up fluid all because of the tires being different sizes. Is this correct or they just wanting to sell 4 new tires.

Are the tires different sizes?? or just 2 more worn then the other 2? bc riding on tires of different sizes for an extended period of time would not be smart..

I'm no expert, could be wrong, but I've never heard that theory before of changing all 4 if 2 are still in real good shape.. if they are all the same size and 2 are just more worn.. i don't see why you couldnt just replace 2.

you should rotate your tires though regularly to avoid any uneven wear between the 4 in the future..

Also, take anything that comes from the dealer with a large cluster of salt. Sounds like they could be trying to pull one over on you..:nutkick:

dr.lee.baugh 06-29-2012 04:35 PM

Like above, not an expert by any means, by IMO:

Mixing and matching tires is never the best of ideas on any drive system. The vehicle's dynamic stability assumes equal levels of grip at all four corners - mixing and matching tire tread pattern and wear can affect this balance, sometimes in negative ways. Will it mean that you will careen off the road if you have different tires...probably not, but, it will alter the way the car handles when compared how it was originally intended.

In the more specific case of AWD systems, your dealer is technically correct. Even if the tread depth is only a mm or two out, this will result in more wear on the transfer case (if front to back) or axles (if side to side). The amount of the wear, and whether it would ever pose a problem depends on how far off the circumference of the tires really are. Remember, a mm or two doesn't sound like a lot, but it can result in substantial differences in the rotations per mile each tire makes.

Another concern with altered tire size is in the effect it may have on the traction/stability control systems. Different tread depths can result in premature activation of the traction control system. I believe there are some members here who have experienced these issues.

So, the simple answer is yes, it is advisable to change all tires at once, and the above advice about rotating tires is the way to ensure you have to replace all tires at the same time.

From a practical stand point, it may be o.k. just to replace the tires that need it, but it's hard to tell ahead of time.

SvenskaJeepGuy 06-30-2012 12:15 PM

Yes you should have similar tread depth on all four tires