Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Troubleshooting/Problems (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f203/)
-   -   45RFE to 545RFE flash question (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f203/45rfe-to-545rfe-flash-question-44068.html)

DivineXtacy 06-30-2012 03:45 AM

45RFE to 545RFE flash question

I recently took my Jeep to the dealership for 45->545 conversion.But they told me that their OBD did not mention any updates for my tranny.My question-

>Is it because I own a 00'WJ;that the OBD does not show any updates for my tranny?For ex-Chrysler introduced the flash for post 2002 vehicles.So according to their database;pre-2002 vehicles are not supposed to get that update.

>Or is it because it's already been done?

I have the TSB with me and I'm planning to tell the dealer to use the TSB and perform the mentioned steps in it.Atleast then,I''ll be sure that its 545RFE :)

On a side note,could someone please tell me the difference between the following:

1>http://transgoonline.com/products.ph...5&prod_start=0

2>http://transgoonline.com/products.ph...dcountview=Yes

Any input will be appreciated!

Frango100 06-30-2012 04:35 AM

Re: 45RFE to 545RFE flash question

If the TSB was performed, there should be a placard on the TCM and/or PCM which states this. You could also count the shifts. From a stop, you should feel 5 times a shift, where the latest is the torque converter lockout. Some shifts you do not or almost not feel, so you could also watch the rpm indicator, or better let a passenger watch it while you watch the road:rolleyes:.
But when the DRBIII doesn´t show any update available, its probably already done.

Milous 06-30-2012 04:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DivineXtacy (Post 650000)
I recently took my Jeep to the dealership for 45->545 conversion.But they told me that their OBD did not mention any updates for my tranny.My question-

The update was for 1999-2000 model years. If you PM me last 8 of your VIN I can check if the Flash was performed.

DivineXtacy 06-30-2012 06:35 AM

I will check it out.Thanks:thumbsup:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frango100 (Post 650002)
If the TSB was performed, there should be a placard on the TCM and/or PCM which states this. You could also count the shifts. From a stop, you should feel 5 times a shift, where the latest is the torque converter lockout. Some shifts you do not or almost not feel, so you could also watch the rpm indicator, or better let a passenger watch it while you watch the road:rolleyes:.
But when the DRBIII doesn´t show any update available, its probably already done.

DivineXtacy 06-30-2012 06:36 AM

PM sent :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Milous (Post 650003)
The update was for 1999-2000 model years. If you PM me last 8 of your VIN I can check if the Flash was performed.

01grand 07-02-2012 03:40 PM

The difference in the 2 kits (from my knowledge) is that the "reprogramming kit" has a resistor to modify line pressure, which wouldn't be needed if used with a different programmer like a super chips. That said there are those that run both just fine, I bought the HD2 reprogramming kit but have yet to install the resistor but plan to, even though I do run a super chips programmer.

DivineXtacy 07-04-2012 11:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 01grand (Post 650878)
The difference in the 2 kits (from my knowledge) is that the "reprogramming kit" has a resistor to modify line pressure, which wouldn't be needed if used with a different programmer like a super chips. That said there are those that run both just fine, I bought the HD2 reprogramming kit but have yet to install the resistor but plan to, even though I do run a super chips programmer.

Thanks for replying.Wouldn't the resistor bypass ur superchip programmer settings?I mean, I have read posts about people removing their resistor so as to make their performance chips function as intended.

Scottina06 07-05-2012 12:52 AM

doesnt the conversion require a new tcm from a 5 speed rfe?

cheapjeep 07-05-2012 03:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scottina06 (Post 652081)

From the way I understand it Scott it's just a simple reflash of the existing one.

01grand 07-05-2012 08:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DivineXtacy (Post 652055)
Thanks for replying.Wouldn't the resistor bypass ur superchip programmer settings?I mean, I have read posts about people removing their resistor so as to make their performance chips function as intended.

I'm not exactly sure how they play together, but I have read from others that it works fine using both. The resistor is just that, an electrical resistor that modifies the voltage of the signal going back to the TCM from the line pressure sensor. My guess would be that the resistor is doing the work, the stock TCM code would adjust the pressure up, whereas the super chips programming would up the pressure on its own regardless. Lol don't quote me on this though I'm pretty much just thinking out loud, I haven't seen what the actual superchips programming does.

DivineXtacy 07-06-2012 08:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 01grand (Post 652151)
I'm not exactly sure how they play together, but I have read from others that it works fine using both. The resistor is just that, an electrical resistor that modifies the voltage of the signal going back to the TCM from the line pressure sensor. My guess would be that the resistor is doing the work, the stock TCM code would adjust the pressure up, whereas the super chips programming would up the pressure on its own regardless. Lol don't quote me on this though I'm pretty much just thinking out loud, I haven't seen what the actual superchips programming does.

Interesting.....will keep researching more on this as I plan to purchase the superchips in a month

DivineXtacy 07-06-2012 08:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scottina06 (Post 652081)

I thought the same until I realized that it's just a simple flash of the TCM using the TSB released by Chrysler.As long as it's an inexpensive mod;I'm happy :)