Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Troubleshooting/Problems (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f203/)
-   -   Well... (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f203/well-44105.html)

indenco04 06-30-2012 11:27 PM

Well...

So. I leave my mother's house this evening. The wife and I enter the Dub-J. Close the doors. I insert the key to the ignition lock cylinder. I rotate the key to the start position and... the whole Jeep goes black. No dash. No interior. Cycle key back and remove from cylinder. Reinsert key. Does nothing. Very faint ticking like a movie time bomb coming from under the dash by the interior fuse center. I check fuses under the hood and in the interior fuse box. Then, disconnect pos terminal of battery. Wait one or two minutes reconnect and Jeep starts. WTF? Never happened before since I have owned our Jeep. Drove home and all was as expected. Any insight. Sorry for my lengthy absence. Bought a boat...been distracted. BTW our WJ's will yank an 18' glass bowrider easy.:thumbsup:

honda_fox3 07-01-2012 12:08 AM

Re: Well...

Bad battery connection, corroded wires/terminals, bad ground somewhere. Check out all the wires that connect to the battery, follow them as far as you can making sure connections are clean, tight and corrosion free. Hope this helps. Keep us posted on what you find out.

P.S. congrats on the boat they are very distracting and a great way to waste away the summer ha ha.

Frango100 07-01-2012 08:12 AM

This must indeed be a bad connection somewhere. Since disconnecting/connecting the battery terminal helped, you probably have to focus there. Are the battery terminals clean? There can be corrosion inside the battery cable, close to the battery terminal, which you only can see by removing a bit of the insulation.

indenco04 07-01-2012 08:53 AM

New clamps. Stripped the wire when I was rebuilding the engine. Good condition under the wire coating. Went out this morning and it is really hot here again...same thing. Jeep just clicked and went black. I am going to check the connections more. Now I am missing church:mad: Have to figure this out soon as it is my dd and tow vehicle. Thank you gentlemen, as this proves once again- to be the most helpful site on the web.

cheapjeep 07-01-2012 09:20 AM

Are you losing your radio stations,clock time etc when it does this? That would help determine if its a connection issue. May be a starter relay if not. Also check your feeds into the power distribution center where they enter in next to the battery.

indenco04 07-01-2012 10:44 AM

No. Still have radio memory and vic still keeps track of logged information. Going to replace main ground from battery to block. The end up near the battery looks wonky. I jumped the battery to the large bolt/stud atop the intake with jumper cables and that made it crank and start. I will end up replacing pos and neg cables today I guess. Luckily it is only 80-something here today. Thank you all again. More to come...:cool:

indenco04 07-01-2012 03:23 PM

Replaced negative cable, as the positive one is either a dealer make-up or something which requires an astrophysics degree. However...it remedied my problem. Jeep fires right off. Minimal work, and tiny investment are things I am not accustomed to with WJ repairs/maintenance. So, again. Thank you to everyone who helped me out this time. Blessings.:thumbsup:

hoffmanestates 07-01-2012 10:01 PM

now make ur self a couple grounds and help with idle wlquality

Turbo charged G2X using tapatalk 2