Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Engine Performance/Intakes and Exhausts/Superchargers/Turbos (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f170/)
-   -   Hmmm, HP/$ (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f170/hmmm-hp-44129.html)

ron13 07-01-2012 04:30 PM

Hmmm, HP/$

No flame wars, just discussion/feedback/viewpoint please. ;)

I have a 2011 5.7. Love it, one of the best vehicles I've ever owned. Would not have owned one before secondary to reliability/quality issues. It took MB DNA/engineering to fix that. Well done. Hope Fiat doesn't screw it up. Wanted an SRT, BUT wanted one with that 8 speed more. So I got what I have and will trade when the 8 speed gets here.

I admit it, I'm a whore. No brand loyalty whatsoever. Give me what I want and I'll buy from anyone. The one disappointing issue with the 5.7 would have to be the performance. It's OK, but much room for improvement. I've always been one of the CAI/cat back/programmer types for the extra giggles. So Chrysler putting such a lock on its code ticks me off. Just not necessary and no, I don't want any argument about THAT.

I try and keep up, heard the ML was getting an 8, checked it out. 402 HP, 4.6 twin turbo, and it's blue sky playing with boost pressure on a turbo. SWEET! 7200 tow cap. So either vehicle will suit my needs. Glad for the respite, but still think gas will head back north of $4/gallon.

Now, base ML $57,590. SRT $61,160. I know the SRT is loaded, but you can see where I'm going with this.....:D

bcm0018 07-17-2012 10:23 PM

Re: Hmmm, HP/$

I'm going to guess your trying to compare the srt to the ML. Sameish price SRT has more hp and will probably out handle and out break the ML. ML has a turbo so should be more mod friendly but everyone knows modding MB is $$$. The MB will probably have a nicer interior. Tuning will come out for the new srt8 and when it does the SC, turbo, strokers, and other good stuff already out for the wk1 can be put into the wk2.

What it comes down to is which do you like better for what you want in a car. I love my wk1 SRT8 and wont be trading it for anything anytime soon cause its what I want.

Scottina06 07-17-2012 11:06 PM

the SRT has one of the top interiors in the world. Bob Lutz said it was the best built american vehicle....period.

mjw930 07-18-2012 07:59 AM

Start optioning out the ML and you'll get to $67K with the same features as an SRT with the Luxury and Pano roof that lists for $64K. What you'll have is an overland with a bit more power and a better transmission, not a Sports SUV, certainly not anything that could be mistaken for high performance.

If you want to compare apples to apples then you need to step up to the ML63, that STARTS @ $95K. for that you get about 50 more horses under the hood and an air adjustable suspension, everything else is pretty close.

I'm not saying the Merc isn't a great truck, it is. I'm just saying that dollar for dollar the Jeep always wins.