Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Trouble Shooting/Problems/Service (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/)
-   -   tailgate won't open (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/tailgate-wont-open-44143.html)

Jeepney 07-01-2012 09:41 PM

tailgate won't open

Is it just me or is the tailgate supposed to unlock along with all the other doors? I can hear the tailgate locking fully and when unlocking it seems like it unlocks halfway. Either way I can't open the tailgate. Thanks

AAAA 07-02-2012 06:37 PM

Re: tailgate won't open

It unlocks with the other doors.

Angler 07-02-2012 07:32 PM

How are you unlocking the vehicle? Here's what the manual for my 2012 JGCO says about it:

LIFTGATE
To open the liftgate, pull up on the handle and lift.
Manually unlocking the vehicle doors with the plunger
or a key in the lock cylinder will not unlock the liftgate.

I interpret the above as including the push button on the exterior door handles but may be totally wrong. I usually open the liftgate with the button (2X) for the liftgate on the fob. If I unlock the doors with the fobik and then lift the liftgate handle, the gate does not open and I hear three quick electronic sounds. With the doors either locked or unlocked and the fobik in my pocket, if I press the lock button on the liftgate and then lift the handle the gate opens.

Jeepney 07-04-2012 11:46 PM

I unlock the vehicle with my fob (changed open door function for a one time button smash instead if two) no joy with tailgate. Tried to use the outside push button on the tailgate to lock and unlock as well as the push button on the driver and passenger doors and no joy...

gajim 07-06-2012 09:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Angler (Post 650970)
How are you unlocking the vehicle? Here's what the manual for my 2012 JGCO says about it:

LIFTGATE
To open the liftgate, pull up on the handle and lift.
Manually unlocking the vehicle doors with the plunger
or a key in the lock cylinder will not unlock the liftgate.

I interpret the above as including the push button on the exterior door handles but may be totally wrong. I usually open the liftgate with the button (2X) for the liftgate on the fob. If I unlock the doors with the fobik and then lift the liftgate handle, the gate does not open and I hear three quick electronic sounds. With the doors either locked or unlocked and the fobik in my pocket, if I press the lock button on the liftgate and then lift the handle the gate opens.

Ditto, Angler is correct.

AAAA 07-06-2012 12:41 PM

The button on the manual tailgate of my Limited just locks it. I unlock by pushing the remote or going around and grabbing the door handle.

jgiuliani 07-06-2012 01:53 PM

Interesting people are seeing differing behavior, you'd think this would be a common procedure across all trim levels. I have a Laredo X and have the vehicle programmed to unlock all doors with a single click. My tailgate behaves exactly the same as the rest of my doors. It locks and unlocks with the rest of the doors using the fob. It unlocks when I grab either of the front door handles with the fob close by, and locks when I use the exterior button on the doors. I can also lock and unlock it using the exterior tailgate button.

BOURBON 07-06-2012 02:16 PM

You may want to check the liftgate glass. if it is not completely closed the liftgate wont open when commanded by remote.

Justal13 07-06-2012 02:17 PM

The button on the chrome brow of my tailgate both locks and unlocks the tailgate (and the rest of my doors). I use it all the time. I have my doors programmed in the EVIC to unlock all at same time on a single push/click.

AAAA 07-08-2012 07:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Justal13 (Post 652762)
The button on the chrome brow of my tailgate both locks and unlocks the tailgate (and the rest of my doors). I use it all the time. I have my doors programmed in the EVIC to unlock all at same time on a single push/click.

This is correct. I tried again today. I must have bad eye/hand coordination as the first time it did not do that and I never tried again!

Jeepney 07-10-2012 06:06 PM

Went to the dealership and they replaced the latch...works fine now

ColdCase 07-10-2012 06:55 PM

Thanks for the update