Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Export Grand Cherokee 2011+ (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f190/)
-   -   Recirculation Ventilation Control (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f190/recirculation-ventilation-control-44147.html)

Swampy 07-01-2012 10:22 PM

Recirculation Ventilation Control

Hello to all.

Lately we have noticed that if we shift the air ventilation to recirculation, that after 5 mins or so, it switches itself back to flow through. This is with the Climate control set to auto.

I am wondering if this happens automatically in cold weather to reduce fogging.

Have others noticed something similar?

GlennR 07-01-2012 11:22 PM

Re: Recirculation Ventilation Control

I read somewhere that some vehicle manufacturers design this into the climate control to prevent CO2 build up in the car.....same as the recomendation to open your window every now and again when on recirc to relenish clean air.

savvas 07-01-2012 11:40 PM

I've also heard that about it being a design thing to keep fresh oxygen flowing. The theory is that you only need recirc for a short while because of external factors, or for rapid cooldown.

allypally 07-01-2012 11:55 PM

From Manual:
Recirculation mode is not allowed in the Floor/Defrost Mix and Defrost modes to improve window clearing operation. Recirculation will be disabled automatically if these modes are selected.
There is nothing in the Manual regarding automatically switching off Recirculation mode due to carbon dioxide buildup, which is unusual.

Oz_diesel 07-18-2012 01:33 AM

Seems to be a Chrysler thing(see it in 300c's and a Voyager) that on start up that it defaults back to Open vent, and also when in 'Auto' mode it will switch out of Recirulate of it's own accord.
It's annoying to say the least I'm considering a simple interuption switch to prevent/overide this but not sure how that will go with CANB wiring.

telliottaus 07-20-2012 07:21 AM

not sure if you have seen this thread http://jeepgarage.org/showthread.php?t=24109&page=5 interesting explanations of a/c behaviour by one of the engineers

Oz_diesel 08-01-2012 01:28 AM

I had not seen that thanks for posting it, seems like it's been over engineered and of no consideration to what inputs the user dails in, great idea in a dusty environment!

fix69er 08-01-2012 04:48 AM

its annoying, worst thing is that you go through the polluted M5 tunnel then figure out jeep was on open vent...

savvas 08-15-2012 09:59 PM

I was stuck in crawling traffic in Sydney's Eastern Distributor a week or so ago (that day the mattress truck went up in flames in the M5 tunnel). I set the aircon to recirc and it was on auto. I noticed about 30 mins later that it was still on recirc.

Once I was past the crawl and got speed up again, the aircon then went back to fresh air mode.

So it appears that it has the smarts to takes speed into consideration too before switching back

F500 08-18-2012 08:44 AM

While driving in the outback I noticed the recirc stopped switching itself off. It lasted for about a week and more than a 1000 km (I almost enjoyed driving behind a polluting truck for an hour) then it went back to switching itself off again, arrgh...

F500 08-20-2012 10:00 PM

It is still winter in Sydney and I drive with the aircon off. Whenever i switch the recirc button to ON the aircon button also switches to ON and the aircon starts. I then switch off the aircon and the ricirc stays on. There is certainly some funny bugs in that program....