Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Tires (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f185/)
-   -   Need new brakes pads rotors (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f185/need-new-brakes-pads-rotors-44152.html)

jeepwk1 07-02-2012 03:35 AM

Need new brakes pads rotors

I need all new pads and rotors. Does anyone have a link to the stock ones on the wk ? Also should I just go with stock again or see if there's another option in the same price range that makes sense to go with. Thanks in advance !

dmsfun 07-02-2012 08:43 AM

Re: Need new brakes pads rotors

Stock are costly and at best mediocre quality. You can order quality brakes at a good price from www.Tirerack.com and they deliver to your door.

antsjeep 07-02-2012 09:27 AM

Check out Wagner Thermo-quiets for pads. I just recently upgraded to these. I have better braking overall and literally no brake dust.

brentwoodkris 07-02-2012 10:23 AM

See this thread: http://www.jeepgarage.org/f185/best-brake-pads-for-my-wk-43496.html

Scottina06 07-02-2012 11:02 AM

check out r1concepts in the vendors forums

d9hp 07-02-2012 02:39 PM

I have nice rotors from R1 Concepts that I got about a year ago and coupled it with Thermo-Quiet pads. Not only do I barely have any brake dust but the stopping power is unmatched. I love them.

I will never own another car without thermo-quiets (once the time comes to replace those suckers, that is).

jeepwk1 07-02-2012 10:07 PM

How much are the R1 pads rotors gunna run me ?

brentwoodkris 07-03-2012 09:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeepwk1 (Post 651047)
How much are the R1 pads rotors gunna run me ?

That's a good question. I have a friend with a WK that needs new rotors...

dmsfun 07-03-2012 10:47 AM

It really depends on your driving style and budget. If you want maximum stopping power, go with semi-metallics and cross drilled rotors. My road racer has agressive mettalic pads with blank cryo treated rotors but the pads need to get warm before they bite, and the wheels get dirty quickly. Avoid all slotted rotors, as they will only eat brake pads quickly, with no proven benefit to stopping power. HIgh quality Ceramics and blank rotors are great for use on a Jeep and are what I went with. I never hit the brakes hard with the WK, as mpg is bad enough already. My OEM front pads still had plenty of life at 75k, but I changed them out when the rears were worn.

brentwoodkris 07-03-2012 11:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dmsfun (Post 651289)
Avoid all slotted rotors, as they will only eat brake pads quickly, with no proven benefit to stopping power.

I'm not sure this is exactly true. From what I've read, slotted rotors move excess brake dust off of the surface of the rotors, which allow for instant pad to rotor contact, and quicker braking power. Also, I've had my TQ's on my EBC drilled/slotted sport rotors for almost 30k and I see little/no wear on them (both pads and rotors). That's saying something as that 30k is almost entirely stop & go city driving.

Edit: directly from EBC's website: http://www.ebcbrakes.com/automotive_...d_rotors.shtml

dmsfun 07-03-2012 12:42 PM

"The Effect of Rotor Crossdrilling on Brake Performance" by two GM engineers published in 2006. They examined three vehicle platforms with cross-drilled rotors vs standard rotors to measure convection cooling capability, fade characteristics, wet braking, pedal feel and lining wear. The result is summarized as follows:

For the sports sedan, the coefficient of friction was 21% higher for drilled rotors than standard front rotors at 340F and higher using 15 brake snubs at 62mph. The track simulated 124 mph fade test showed 37% better brake output for drilled rotors. The drilled rotor brake temperature was about 150 degrees cooler.
For the performance car, the coefficient of friction was significantly higher for drilled rotors especially at high temperature.
Wet braking at high pedal pressure was the same for drilled or standard rotors. Wet braking is not significantly improved by drilled rotors.
Pedal force was much more consistent with drilled rotors over the brake temperature range. That is, to stop at the same deceleration rate, the driver does not need to modulate pedal pressure based on different brake temperatures. This reduces driver fatigue and improves brake response.
The authors also reported that drilled rotors prevent pad resin glazing on the rotor. So we now have solid evidence that drilled rotors have benefits over standard rotors. They then reviewed inertial dynamometer tests using ISO NWI 26867 from Link Testing in Detroit with slotted rotors vs standard rotors. The results showed no significant difference in the coefficient of friction during the fade sections, hot stop section or pedal sensitivity portion of the test. Their hypothesis is that slotted rotors do not contribute to rotor cooling whereas drilled rotors improve convection heat transfer to cool rotors and reduce brake fade. It should also be pointed out that the pad lining wear for the slotted rotor was very severe during the test, i.e. the pad was chewed up over 20% more than the lining with stock rotors. While slots will help remove gas and debri from under the pad, this has no significant effect on brake torque for normal street driving. Perhaps the effect of slotted rotors is more significant on the race track, and conversely, I believe that drilled rotors are better for street and highway driving. For most drivers, drilled rotors are recommended over slotted rotors, and this conclusion is supported by the fact that Corvette, Ford GT, Porsche, Mercedes and BMW come with OEM drilled rotors.

dr.lee.baugh 07-03-2012 01:08 PM

Personally, I'd stick with high quality blank rotors (no slots, no drilling).

High-end sports cars will go with drilled rotors to improve heat dissapation...of course, they also need to be able to break from 180MPH and have much larger breaking surfaces with typically massive 14" rotors. The size of the rotor matters since they do not loose a substantial sweep area of the rotor to the drilling/slotting process. Smaller rotor = greater proportion of sweep area that is removed by drilling = less sweep area available for breaking.

At the speeds I can resonably assume you are going to hit in your Jeep, I don't think performance wise you are going to see a huge benefit over traditional quality ceramic pads and blank rotors. When was the last time your Jeep's rotors were glowing red with heat?

If you like the look of cross-drilled/slotted rotors, that's a different story with a much simpler answer - go with the one that you like the looks of :cool:

Just my opinion on this one - I have driven both in "normal" driving conditions and wouldn't be able to tell which was which if I didn't know how much I spent on the brake job...