Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Tires (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f185/)
-   -   Rear upper coil spring isolators (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f185/rear-upper-coil-spring-isolators-44157.html)

dmsfun 07-02-2012 09:00 AM

Rear upper coil spring isolators

Couldn't stand the squeeks and creeks any longer, so ordered the newly revised F designation upper coil spring isolators from the dealer and put them in over the weekend. There is a TSB out on this, but it has the old part number E listed. WIth a beer break between sides , took a total of about 3 hours. The drivers side one was nearly gone, and the passenger side was well worn. Well worth it thoughl finally quiet over all bumps, and the rear suspension is tighter with less bounce, which helps with the Bilstein HD's. If you have 75k or more, or anytime you are changing out shocks or endlinks, I'd reccomend doing thse.

Rob07WK 07-02-2012 09:09 AM

Re: Rear upper coil spring isolators

Quote:

Originally Posted by dmsfun (Post 650670)
If you have 75k or more, or anytime you are changing out shocks or endlinks, I'd reccomend doing thse.

I think it depends on where you live(road salt) and wear and tear on the vehicle. I just installed some steins on my 07' with almost 90K miles on it. I looked at ALL of the isolators and they looked fine to me. They also don't squeek. I didn't bother replacing them. YMMV

dmsfun 07-02-2012 09:17 AM

You have to remove then to see the wear. I couldn't tell there was anything worn with the passenger side til it was out. They are only $5 it only makes sense to replace with the new revised ones if you are already in there changing shocks, since you are most of the way there with labor. The rubber on the old ones wears and softens after so many miles, making the ride bouncy too.

antsjeep 07-02-2012 09:25 AM

Moog also makes good replacements isolators. They can be bought at RockAuto.

dmsfun 07-02-2012 04:08 PM

The revised ones (3rd revision) from the dealer are probably the best choice and are even a better price than Moogs or others. I'll never buy Moog bushings again; they performed poorly from my experiences, i.e. the materials compresssed over time, leading to excess backlash on lower control arms, sway bars, and strut rods on my street machine.
After driving familiar roads the past few days, the rear is noticably more stable and controlled with the new bushings, so the old rubber really softened up after 80k. Head toss and after bouncies over whoop de doos is reduced quite a lot, so worth changing em out for this alone. I also have SRT bars front / rear to reduce bouncing with the HD Bilsteins.

Rob07WK 07-03-2012 10:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dmsfun (Post 650687)
You have to remove then to see the wear. I couldn't tell there was anything worn with the passenger side til it was out. They are only $5 it only makes sense to replace with the new revised ones if you are already in there changing shocks, since you are most of the way there with labor. The rubber on the old ones wears and softens after so many miles, making the ride bouncy too.

I never said I didn't remove the springs. In fact, you can't replace the struts without removing the front springs.

It didn't make sense to me to replace them if there wasn't anything wrong with them. Again, mine ride just fine.

I'm glad you're enjoying your Jeep.:thumbsup:

dmsfun 07-03-2012 12:55 PM

I guess I wasn't clear that the subject of the TSB is for replacement of the old style rear spring upper isolators. The more I drive it now, the more it is apparent these new revised isolators really help with imporoved cornering, controlled ride, and much better stability, where before, the rear suspension had a very bouncy feeling, with side to side tipping, really noticable after installing the HD Bilsteins.

lsujeep 07-03-2012 02:54 PM

i just ordered some of the new front sway bar bushings because the ride was still all over the place after changing shocks on all 4 corners to bilsteins. it still felt unstable in corners with a ton of creeks and noise in the front end. i do remember the front isolators looking pretty worn but thought nothing of it. i guess i will be ordering more new parts for the wk. im pretty aggravated about constantly chasing issues with the wk. it seems like there are little gremlins everywhere!

dmsfun 07-04-2012 09:07 AM

SInce you have a 2006, you need to put in the upgraded bushings and brackets for the front sway bar with the groove in the center. I would put in the SRT bar along with these, as thoe brakcets fit that bar also and it makes a big difference. Did you change out the sway bar end links front and rear ? They could be the source of noise and go bad in less than 40k, You have to remove them form the vehicle to see the wear generated in the openings where they mount.
Things do go and it just takes time to chase them down and sort them out properly. Mine now has 80k and I'm finally very happy with it how it runs, rides and drives; no creeks, rattles or noises, and it runs much smoother and faster than ever. A year ago I was ready to trade it in, as it rode and handled poorly, was slow with poor throttle response, and trans shifitng sucked compared to now. All that is resolved with just a few simple easy to install, upgrades and now it is a totally dirrent ride and I really like it
IF you are putting on HD Bilstiens, I would add the SRT front and rear sway bars for sure, and it is an absolute must to upgrade with these F style isolators. The rear suspension is now solid, cornering is much improved and the Bilstiens ride much smoother over bumps now without any bouncing around.

antsjeep 07-05-2012 10:44 AM

I just changed out my FSB bushings and it eliminated about 60% of the clunks/rattle i was getting up front and i'm only at 50k. The stock bushing surprisingly looked pretty shot already AND they were the new versions. The replacements i got looked a little thicker overall and felt way more rugged than the stockers. Cost me $19 at my local stealership.

Install took about 30mins, no jack required (kept the jeep on the ground). The only thing that made it easier was to take off the front air dam and using a breaker bar to get the bolts broken free. I also needed a jack to slightly push on the sway bar (at the corner) to re-align the bolts when re-installing the new bushing to the frame.

I still need to change out the front links because they felt way too loose to me when just moving them around by hand. I think once those are swapped ill have no more noises :D

lsujeep 07-06-2012 01:25 AM

dmsfun- thanks for that post! Man I was totally in that same boat but have since decided to keep it and just fix a little at a time. I just got the egr, pcv, new throttle body gasket and sway bar bushings today. I would like to add srt sway bars front and rear but I'm going to end up buying all new spring isolators front and rear first. From there I will probably pick up new end links. I have some play in an upper ball joint and a tie rod end on my f150 that will need to be replaced soon. The fun never ends!