Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Audio/Visual/Navigation (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f155/)
-   -   Aftermarket Navigation System (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f155/aftermarket-navigation-system-44173.html)

jdloushin 07-02-2012 01:03 PM

Aftermarket Navigation System

I am looking to remove the radio from my 2011 JGC Laredo and plan an install of an aftermarket touch screen navigation system. I have had little experience working with custom installs and want to make sure that I do not break anything when removing and installing. Is there a video or manual on how to remove and install an aftermarket system?

FAUEE 07-02-2012 05:22 PM

Re: Aftermarket Navigation System

Personally, I'd just pay a professional to do it. Places like Best Buy have insurance so if something goes wrong, they'll pay to fix it.

The WK2 isn't hard to work on, but I've seen people do some pretty amazingly wrong things on them. And IMO, the time to learn how to do that sort of stuff isn't on your new car, lol.

ColdCase 07-02-2012 08:31 PM

There are several threads around where folks describe their radio mods. WK2jeeps.com has manuals of how to remove and replace radios and trim. Easy for OEM radios. Aftermarket nav radios require trimming the WK2 plastic dash support pieces just a bit, but there have been several discussions here. Depending on the aftermarket radio, some are more difficult to integrate to existing satellite and GPS antennas than others.

jdloushin 07-03-2012 08:53 AM

I have worked installing a couple of these before in older vehicles with little worry if any paneling was damaged or scuffed. Installing one on a car that I care about more I want to make sure I get it right the first time. Thanks for thoughts and comments

jdloushin 07-09-2012 09:02 PM

For steering wheel controls, do the Metra Axxess ASWC Universal Steering Wheel Control Interface work?

RageOfFury 07-09-2012 09:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdloushin (Post 654258)
For steering wheel controls, do the Metra Axxess ASWC Universal Steering Wheel Control Interface work?

Either Metra Axxess ASWC or PAC SWI-XX

jdloushin 07-10-2012 11:08 AM

Would the SWI-CAN2 be needed as well for both controls? Or just the PAC SWI-X

RageOfFury 07-10-2012 03:45 PM

You'll need the PAC C2R-CHY4 to interface the aftermarket head unit with the Jeep's wiring harness.

You will then need one of PAC's SWI steering wheel control interfaces to utilize the Jeep's steering wheel controls. There are different SWI interfaces depending on the make/model of the head unit.

I recommend going to Crutchfield.com and using their OutFitMyCar tool to figure out what you need.