Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Tires (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f185/)
-   -   WAAAYYYY over torqued lug nuts... (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f185/waaayyyy-over-torqued-lug-nuts-44189.html)

jmc2004 07-02-2012 07:41 PM

WAAAYYYY over torqued lug nuts...

I went to take off my wheels to check the brakes out,and to my dismay they were way over torqued.I tried to get them off with an impact gun and it was a no go. So my friend put his torque wrench on and they were over 250 ft/lbs. Unbelievable! Which brings me to ask a few questions. First,does anyone have any suggestions on how to get the lugs loose without snapping the stud,and second,has anyone replaced a broken stud on their Grand,and if so how did you do it? I know how to replace them in general,I just want to make sure there aren't any special steps. Any help would be great!

SvenskaJeepGuy 07-02-2012 07:54 PM

Re: WAAAYYYY over torqued lug nuts...

Quote:

Originally Posted by jmc2004 (Post 650972)
I went to take off my wheels to check the brakes out,and to my dismay they were way over torqued.I tried to get them off with an impact gun and it was a no go. So my friend put his torque wrench on and they were over 250 ft/lbs. Unbelievable! Which brings me to ask a few questions. First,does anyone have any suggestions on how to get the lugs loose without snapping the stud,and second,has anyone replaced a broken stud on their Grand,and if so how did you do it? I know how to replace them in general,I just want to make sure there aren't any special steps. Any help would be great!

take the biggest wratchet you have and put a long pipe over it. use the pipe and even the tightest bolt will come off with little effort. i would replace the stud anyway because last year i had over torqued lug nuts from a bad mechanic and i almost lost a wheel driving home on the pa turnpike. the car started to shake violently and i pulled over and saw that i lost 4 of 5 lug nuts and 3 of the studs. i had to take a lug nut off another wheel and put it on the remaining stud just to be able to get home.

Escape 07-02-2012 11:44 PM

At 250 FT/LB replace all the studs and lugnuts, maybe even the hubs if it distorted them or started to pull the studs through!

I would go the shop that did that and ask them WTF were they thinking. On your receipt it should have who (service tech) did that to your Jeep too.

antsjeep 07-03-2012 10:59 AM

wow that can lead to some major issues if those stud were pulled through like escape said...

I would have a different shop inspect the studs and write up a diagnosis/report on them and bring that to the original shop that did the work. If they are found to be damaged the original shop is liable to have them replaced.