Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner

2012 SRT8 wheels installed on my 2012 Overland!!! pics inside ;-)

48K views 107 replies 57 participants last post by  Qmulus 
#1 · (Edited)
I just bought a set of new takeoff 2012 SRT8 wheels and Scorpion all season tires. I figure I could buy them and try them out and worst case sell them if I decide I didnt like them.

Overall I am VERY pleased! I wasnt sure if the agressive offset and tire size would look awkward on the more luxury oriented Overland, but it turned out better than I thought. Fitment was perfect, clearances were more than enough, and the ride so far feels no different than my Overland 20" wheels. Tire pressure sensors automatically adjusted as well. The downside to these is yes they are heavy. I weighed the SRT wheel/tire combo and it came out to 81.2lbs, and the OEM Overland 20" wheel was 68lbs. On the first drive though I didnt feel any difference, and I will watch to see what happens to my fuel economy especially since I have the little V6.

I added much better pictures and after having all day to look at the car more I absolutely love these wheels on this car.

Current mods to the 12 Overland are:
-tint matched front windows
-sharkfin antenna
-side moulding removal and Grand Cherokee letters added
-chrome fog bezels
-body color mirror caps.

See less See more
#12 ·
Very nice James. Just one suggestion though. Please get rid of that horrible license plate.
:D Go Yankees! :) :p
:D

Looks good, yet so wrong w/ the V6 exhaust...
Didnt really bother me, I mean people change the wheels on all sorts of cars. Besides, its not like even the Hemi has some fancy exhaust system. Same exhaust tip, except it has two of them. I have considered adding a dual setup, but still undecided. I would either install the Hemi exhaust and add Corsa style tips, or get a Corsa V8 system. Still unsure though, because now I want a 2014 too lol.

I love the wheels but hate the weight! It's surprising that a supposedly performance oriented wheel would add so much unsprung mass. Oh well, at least it looks good.
Yeah they are heavy for sure. I think it has a LOT to do with the huge runflats. The good thing is from my one drive so far the Jeep feels the same and I do log all my fillups so if there is any loss of MPG I will know. I will report back with that info at some point too.

As for the rest of the Jeep I think it looks pretty good as is, but I think to make the wheels work even better I need to lose the chrome door handles and go painted like I did on the mirror caps. The SRT lower painted side skirts and fender mouldings really make the SRT flow better as well, but unfortunately as everyone knows in order to do any one of those pieces you have to do it all...front bumper, fender mouldings, lower side skirt, rear fender moulding, and rear bumper. You cant add just one of those because they all fit toegther.

#11 ·
I love the wheels but hate the weight! It's surprising that a supposedly performance oriented wheel would add so much unsprung mass. Oh well, at least it looks good.

#13 ·
Nice!

The wheels look great! I think Jeep did a great job with many of their factory wheel designs in this generation of products. These SRT wheels look very sporty!

I also appreciate your high quality pictures. It makes looking at parts and deciding on mods easier! :)

#19 ·
Well eibach springs would certainly be a down grade from the factory adjustable air suspension, not that they would work anyway :) Plus, it's slammed in park mode in the pictures anyway.

As for the mirror caps, I hate to tell ya but they are there to stay :p

#22 ·
Not to be that guy, but I think the stock Overland wheels look better with your truck. Something about it just doesn't look right, I think it has to do with the much higher ground clearance.

If you like it, that's all that matters, but to be totally honest, it looks strange to me. But it's to expected, the SRT8 almost doesn't look right with those wheels.

#23 · (Edited)
Not to be that guy, but I think the stock Overland wheels look better with your truck. Something about it just doesn't look right, I think it has to do with the much higher ground clearance.

If you like it, that's all that matters, but to be totally honest, it looks strange to me. But it's to expected, the SRT8 almost doesn't look right with those wheels.

Hey all input is appreciated!! At first I kind of thought the same thing as I didnt know if this sportier wheel design with aggressive offset would look right, but I absolutely love it now and cant get enough of it! As far as ground clearance not sure about that considering in the pictures its in park mode which sits a little lower than an SRT8, so it cant be the height of the vehicle that you see in the pictures. Infact, yesterday I got my first oil change and I parked next to a new SRT8. An Overland with air suspension in park mode was just a hair lower than the SRT8, and in sport mode was very close to the same height. So what your seeing in those pictures is actually lower than an SRT8.
When the SRT first came out I was not a fan of the wheels, but after seeing them in person they have grown on me....a lot!!

#31 ·
For anyone that has been following my mods I did another slight change since I added the SRT8 wheels. I found that with the slightly darker SRT wheels the original black fog bezels seem to go with the rest of the theme I have going better.
So here is a couple pictures with the chrome fog bezels removed.

As for the SRT wheels I am still in love them with. Cant get enough of this Jeep now its a whole new look!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.