Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK2 - (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/)
-   -   OBX beach driving advice (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/obx-beach-driving-advice-44197.html)

JeepMonster 07-02-2012 09:15 PM

OBX beach driving advice

Heading to the OBX in the middle of August and I had a few questions for those that have been down there. I currently have the 18in rims with the Latitudes along with the QT1 package. Will I be fine as long as I air down to 18-20psi? I also don't have tow hooks or anything so I'm really hoping I won't get stuck. Was planning on doing some driving in the Corolla area. Any advice would be greatly appreciated, and I promise to post pics once I get back!

bit50 07-02-2012 09:30 PM

Re: OBX beach driving advice

I haven't been to OBX as I live in CA but I've been down to Pismo several times. Airing down is always a good idea. I would actually go lower say 15-17 psi. Keep your momentum going. You need to have a recovery point. If you have a trialer hitch then just go buy a tow pin and you can put it through a recovery strap. If you don't you really should go get some tow hooks. You did mention only driving in the "Corolla" area which sounds like where street cars go, so you'll probably be ok i guess. I just like to be prepared.

77rednecktruck 07-03-2012 06:31 AM

I had mine at OBX last year. I have the 18" stock tires and QT2 but didn't really need it. I did not air down the tires and never had an issue.

JABEACHFANZ 07-03-2012 09:47 AM

I would air down the tires to the 15-17 range as long as there is a place to air up within a short distance after coming off the beach. If there isn't anything for more than 2-3 miles I would air down to 20 for a little better on road handling and less chance of coming off the rim. You should be fine at 20 psi but if you get stuck grab a shovel and dig out or air down to 15-17. Also a little trick i learned is to buy a cheap set of floor mats that you don't mind getting messed up. Toss those in the jeep and if you get stuck you can use those sorta like sand latters.

The moment you think you are going to get stuck you probably are. Stop and don't gas it. Dig out or try reversing but DO NOT SPIN to try and get loose you'll just end up sitting on the frame (which really sucks and takes about 30 minutes of digging to get free....don't ask how I know).

peckmv 07-03-2012 11:07 AM

Like other posters said, go down to 15-20 psi. I have seen people not do it and they get stuck real quick. NEVER spin your tires in sand. It takes about 5 seconds to dig yourself down to the frame. Its also adviseable to have a shovel, jack, a board to sit your jack on(12in x 12in), and a tow strap. I have an army surplus shovel that folds. They are available at Sunny Surplus. Stay out of the water and the soft sand. Sand will eat your brakes. Wash the Jeep after to remove sand and salt. The sand will get everywhere, including the engine bay. Have fun.:jump:

77rednecktruck 07-03-2012 11:16 AM

It's OBX, not the Sahara desert. I had mine on just about every back road in the 4wd area and never had an issue at 40PSI in the tires. I did have a little plastic kid shovel in the back though.

ericwp 07-03-2012 03:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JeepMonster (Post 651018)
Heading to the OBX in the middle of August and I had a few questions for those that have been down there. I currently have the 18in rims with the Latitudes along with the QT1 package. Will I be fine as long as I air down to 18-20psi? I also don't have tow hooks or anything so I'm really hoping I won't get stuck. Was planning on doing some driving in the Corolla area. Any advice would be greatly appreciated, and I promise to post pics once I get back!

Maybe I'll see you on the beach, I'll be down there about the same time.
I did it in 2005 with a 2003 JGC with QT1 and had no issues. I aired down to 20-22 and plowed my way through.
Most of the beach at the end of the road is hard, it gets a little soft as you get past the high tide mark.
Bring your camera when you do this, you never know when the wild horses come onto the beach, it is a very cool site to see.
One thing get hurricane insurance..it came in handy last year when Irene hit the outerbanks the day I was supposed to go down.
Trapp Rock Brewery if it is still there is a grerat brew pub as is the tappas bar Metropolis...good martinis..:D

Ken Jacobs 07-03-2012 03:43 PM

I was down at Corolla earlier this summer. Although the sand is well packed along the beach, it is very deep at the ramp. I would recommend 20 psi and try to stay in existing tracks when entering and exiting at the ramp. I carry a tow strap and the pin for the receiver. I have an overland and use the sand mode.

JeepMonster 07-03-2012 05:46 PM

So if I don't have front hooks or a hitch I should get the hooks? Or are they not really necessary in OBX as long as I deflate the tires.

SvenskaJeepGuy 07-03-2012 05:59 PM

If you have to remove air to safely drive on obx then you have no clue how to drive off pavement. I had fun driving there last year on 20s with wide 275 and 315 street tires. As someone said above it is obx not the sahara desert. Just pay attention to how it feels, make adjustments to your speed and direction and you will not get stuck

Ken Jacobs 07-03-2012 06:31 PM

While airing down at the Corolla ramp, a SUV drove by without stopping to reduce air pressure in his tires. He got stuck in the first 100 yards. After reducing tire pressure, he was able to continue. Apparently getting stuck at the ramp can be rather amusing as a truck with some fellows was on the beach watching the happenings.

SvenskaJeepGuy 07-04-2012 12:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ken Jacobs (Post 651533)
While airing down at the Corolla ramp, a SUV drove by without stopping to reduce air pressure in his tires. He got stuck in the first 100 yards. After reducing tire pressure, he was able to continue. Apparently getting stuck at the ramp can be rather amusing as a truck with some fellows was on the beach watching the happenings.

sure he had 4x4? tons of suvs down south are only 4x2. its quite amusing to watch them attempt to drive even on the packed sand in volusia county fla. i have been driving on sand for a long time and never once let air out of my tires and never got stuck in a 4x4