Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Audio/Visual/Navigation (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f186/)
-   -   Double Din DVD installs (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f186/double-din-dvd-installs-44212.html)

walkin 07-03-2012 08:27 AM

Double Din DVD installs

I currently have a REC nav unit and i'm looking to upgrade to an aftermarket double din DVD touch screen. I dont really want to go the MyGig route. Some of the installs i've seen i haven't been too thrilled about because of the install kits and the gap the double din leaves. i really like the clean look of the REC but I want a newer unit.

Can anyone post some pictures of their stereo installed and if you recall the make of the install kit?

Madanio24 07-03-2012 05:56 PM

Re: Double Din DVD installs

If you look at my audio build thread you will see mine. I used an alpine-Ida-w910 i love it its great. All you will need is a stock wk navigation bezel and a plastic dash kit. got the whole kit off ebay for 90 bucks.

tom58 07-04-2012 01:12 PM

1 Attachment(s)
my solution a kenwood 5280 bt great sound

Madanio24 07-04-2012 02:04 PM

I have the lmited mavigation bezel

walkin 07-08-2012 05:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Madanio24 (Post 651513)
If you look at my audio build thread you will see mine. I used an alpine-Ida-w910 i love it its great. All you will need is a stock wk navigation bezel and a plastic dash kit. got the whole kit off ebay for 90 bucks.

Install looks good. This unit is the one i was thinking about going with. Are you happy with the functionality of it?

Madanio24 07-08-2012 07:54 PM

Yes! i love it. Just make sure you get the bypass module or you cant access any settings while driving or change gps settings. Its really great for using pandora, accessing movies, music off your ipod or usb device. But the GPS on it is very good alot better then my friends kenwood double din. On my install i just stuck the gps reciever on a metal piece under the radio bezel, its totally hidden and fuctions great through the dash. You cant go wrong with alpine quality.

JMLoughrey 08-02-2012 08:48 PM

To bypass kenwoods you just ground the parking brake wire. No module needed. You will need a wiring harness, antenna adapter, and Metra ASWC if you have steering wheel controls.

Unless they've changed it for this model year.

Madanio24 08-03-2012 08:28 AM

Yep on kenwoods you just ground out. But alpine made it so they brake has to be applied first then put into park then lift foot off of park and then put ebrake up. My audio friend told me thats the sequence for the new alpines, cant just ground out thats why i needed the bypass. There was no way i wanted to have to do all that just to access settings or videos lol.