Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Export & Diesel Powered Jeep Models (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f79/)
-   -   Water/methanol injection kit (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f79/water-methanol-injection-kit-44242.html)

cmgreene 07-03-2012 09:21 PM

Water/methanol injection kit

From reading other diesel sites that sell "power adders" I see there is a unit that can inject a 50% methanol/water mixture into the intake manifold to apparently add power and help economy by keeping temps down. Also claims to help reduce soot so DPF filters actually work better. Not sure if some or all of this is true. First, has anybody tried one of these with the OM642 engine. Secondly I got to thinking...the problems of failed swirl motors and clogged intakes are well-described on this site from all the oil vapor that ends up in the manifold from the crank case gasses. Suppose a fella was to try this water/methanol injection set up. Would or could a potential benifit be self-cleaning of that oil gunk that builds up from the egr gas and oil vapor? Could it make the gunk problem worse or happen faster? I'd love to hear people's thoughts or experiences.

Chad

azzr1 07-04-2012 12:08 AM

Re: Water/methanol injection kit

Water injection can make for more power (or economy). The rockin' F4U Corsair in WWII used water injection as did a number of aircraft, automobiles, and more.

It lowers the temp (and pressure) to reduce pre-detonation (engine knock). It's like having a fuel with a much higher octane rating and then the engine can run higher compression, more agressive timing, or higher boost pressures for turbo/supercharged engines. With diesel systems, the same power-possibilities apply where the point of the detonation by heat of compression is changed.

The downside is that water inside your engine can make for corrosion, especially for an engine that wasn't originally designed for water injection. This can be met with much more frequent oil changes and checking your engine for small items that might rust (perhaps a metal joint in the intake manifold area) or use a rust inhibitor.

Another issue is if you're running the higher power setup (increased turbo-boost, etc.) and you run out of water or the water injectors fail...then you get too much/early detonation. For an engine that's only been modded for a little extra power or you're barely tooling along, no big deal in the short term. But if your modded engine is set up to make big power and you're asking for a large workload from the engine, then the detonations can damage the engine.

Escape 07-04-2012 12:29 PM

I don't have a diesel but I do use Meth injection.

Devils Own, AIS and Snow Performance all make great kits!

I used different parts from all the above to make the perfect kit.

Works great on mine.

As with any power-adder don't get greedy and your fine.

scjeep4.7HO 07-04-2012 09:31 PM

I also use meth injection. It works well.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk 2

cmgreene 07-05-2012 08:11 PM

azzr1, Can the water injection by itself improve fuel economy even if not mixed with methanol? I thought I was imagining this but I seem to get slightly better milage on really high humidity/ foggy days (I live on the coast in Nova Scotia Canada). Would this make sense with the cooling effect the water vapor would have on this engine?

tnadanzig 07-19-2012 09:34 AM

I installed a devil's own injection kit on my 2007 WK CRD and it works great. I don't really use it for fuel economy improvements. I would need different setup for that like the snow mpg kit and a big tank because it would go through fluid like crazy. It does add a bit of power, but haven't run a 1/4mile yet to gauge the difference, it's very noticeable. It will clean out your intake manifold really well. I would recommend doing this close to an oil change because a lot of the gunk will end up in the oil and you don't need to be driving around with that stuff in you oil for long. This will keep your intake clean and free of carbon build up. I don't know about dpf issues because mine is gone. I also have the 4.7K resistor on the swirl motor so I don't have to worry about that as well. It works well, but I run just straight -20 washer fluid so about 30% methanol. I would recommend doing running one if you still run egr and dpf functions.

Bora Boy 11-20-2012 11:59 AM

I am looking at putting one on my 08 but can not find a compleate installation guide and do not know how complex this is to set-up. It is to lower my ERGs and give some relief to the 3.0 when towing in the mountains.
Is there a You-Tube vid or other step by step install to be found anywhere; or does anyone know a place in Montreal Canada that can do this?