Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Suspension/Driveline/Brakes/Wheels/Tires (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f109/)
-   -   TPMS Sensors question... (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f109/tpms-sensors-question-44276.html)

Aiyer 07-04-2012 05:34 PM

TPMS Sensors question...

I snagged a set (5) of JK wrangler wheels including tires (255/70 R18) with 200 miles on them on CL today. :D

I will be getting the TPMS sensors installed before installing on my Jeep. Part # off of wk2jeeps says "56029398AA".

Some folks here have purchased sensors from ebay. How are they holding up? Also, where did folks get their sensors installed? What was the cost?

I found this on ebay... this should work right?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Chrysler-Dod...#ht_500wt_1413

I apologize in advance if I am not allowed to paste ebay links. :)

Oh, before someone says "pics or GTFO", I will post pics after I install them on my Jeep. LOL.

Cheers and hope everyone is having a great 4th!
-Aiyer

smokin151 07-10-2012 04:52 PM

Re: TPMS Sensors question...

make sure u right down the numbers from each sensor they need to be programmed in by a jeep dealer

Aiyer 07-10-2012 05:03 PM

thanks for the tip. I did not know that they need to be programmed by the dealer.
From some posts I read here, it learns as you drive along.

So, if I swap my current wheels (original that came with the Jeep with built-in sensors that are currently on the Jeep) after using the 2nd set, do I have to get it reprogrammed again? I am confused now...

jgc4ever 07-10-2012 11:19 PM

http://www.justforjeeps.com/20grchtiprse.html - use code jeepgarage5 for an additional 5% off of that.

You might want to read this: http://www.wk2jeeps.com/wk2_tpms.htm

Aiyer 07-11-2012 12:46 AM

Thanks for the links, jgc4ever. The info page says that the new tpm sensors must be programmed to the receiver. Any idea on the dealer cost to program the codes?

But, It still does not answer my question. I have a set of JK 18" wheels and I will be installing new sensors to it. I will get the new sensor IDs programmed at the dealership. Will this erase my existing sensor IDs? Basically, I will have 2 sets of wheels... summer and trail/winter with TPM sensors in them. Do I have to take it to the dealer for programming each time I swap the wheels?

I am sure I am not the only one with this set up. Hope someone who has done this provides an answer to my question.

ColdCase 07-11-2012 06:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smokin151 (Post 654651)
make sure u right down the numbers from each sensor they need to be programmed in by a jeep dealer

Not true (unless something changed in 2012), nothing needs to be done except install the new wheels/tires set on the Jeep and drive for a few miles. I routinely swap sets of wheels/tires summer-winter-summer-offroad-onroad without issue. Takes maybe 5 minutes for the monitor system to reset and the new tire pressure value to replace the old.

Months ago there was issue with non OEM (NAPA) sensor reliability. You may want to make sure the sensors are OEM and the right OEM part number (high frequency). Most of those sold on EBay are OEM, oewheels for one.

I have used the factory sensors you get on ebay for over 10,000 miles and 6 months without issue.

Aiyer 07-11-2012 10:37 PM

Coldcase: Thanks for your reply. When searching for answers on the forum, your post did show up. I will get the tpms installed on the new set and put them on the Jeep. Will see how they act and post the results here.

Aiyer 07-13-2012 01:35 AM

For the benefit of others:

The sensors I purchased worked right away. No need to drive for few days or few mins. I started the Jeep at the tire place and the system immediately gave the psi numbers. Also means, no need to visit the dealership.

The sensors need to be activated though. Discount Tire has a tool to scan and activate the tpm sensor.

Cheers,
-S

ColdCase 07-13-2012 09:15 AM

The sensors only need to be activated or reset if you are impatient and want the new psi reading right away, or if there is a problem. Other cars are different and tire shops are just not all that familiar with all the monitoring systems. Non-OEM sensors are notorious for problems like these. The tool can also verify the sensors are operating correctly, and you could buy one for your tool box.

Oh, by the way, are you sure you were seeing the new tire pressures immediately? The way the system works is whatever the previous valid pressure reading was is displayed. So you could have been seeing your previous tire pressure immediately, not the new ones, at least for a few miles when you will either get the new pressures or a fault. Just saying that seeing pressure immediately does not necessarily mean what you think.

Aiyer 07-14-2012 12:16 PM

No faults. Saw pressure immediately and they were changing as I drove.

ColdCase 07-14-2012 05:53 PM

Do you think the displayed psi was changing because the saved psi of the old tire set was being updated by the new psi? The system remembers what the last psi reading was regardless of sensor SN, and polls (samples) the sensors to update the stored psi level, but not very often. It is not a continuous real time report.

Just saying that the OEM sensors do not have to be manually activated or the monitor system reset, as it resets itself in less than a few minutes. What you observed is consistent with either manual or automatic reset.

BobsWK2 07-14-2012 06:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ColdCase (Post 656550)
Do you think the displayed psi was changing because the saved psi of the old tire set was being updated by the new psi? The system remembers what the last psi reading was regardless of sensor SN, and polls (samples) the sensors to update the stored psi level, but not very often. It is not a continuous real time report.

Just saying that the OEM sensors do not have to be manually activated or the monitor system reset, as it resets itself in less than a few minutes. What you observed is consistent with either manual or automatic reset.

Since the same tpms sensor is also used on other Chrysler products, I wonder how the WK2's tpms computer determines the correct minimum pressure setting when installing a new tpms sensor?