Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Export Grand Cherokee 2011+ (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f190/)
-   -   Repost: Aussie Members I need advice (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f190/repost-aussie-members-i-need-advice-44282.html)

jorn 07-04-2012 09:18 PM

Repost: Aussie Members I need advice

Just a repost, i think i may have put in wrong section so here goes

Hi All,

Quick Introduction, my name is John from WA.
Been lurking on these forums trying to ascertain as much info on the jeep to decide which 4wd to upgrade too...

i thought life would be easier after deciding to settle on the Grand Cherokee...now i am at odds with myself now as to whether i made the right decision - no its not about purchasing the jeep but as to whether i go overland or not.

I have already signed the papers for a Laredo Diesel with Quad lift, towbar, sunroof, aftermark leather upgrade, front parking sensors....

now for an extra 12k i could get myself an overland, i really want/like that heating and cooling seats, the proper parking sensors, the nappa leather and getting the nappa leather.
I figured i get a few more things, but do you guys really think its worthwhile?

I will be leasing this, but if i go overland i will be leasing it for 5 years contrary to 3 years if i go the laredo.

price different is about 40-50 extra a fortnight.

please help me i am losing sleep over this

Sege 07-04-2012 09:25 PM

Re: Repost: Aussie Members I need advice

Quote:

Originally Posted by jorn (Post 652000)
Just a repost, i think i may have put in wrong section so here goes

Hi All,

Quick Introduction, my name is John from WA.
Been lurking on these forums trying to ascertain as much info on the jeep to decide which 4wd to upgrade too...

i thought life would be easier after deciding to settle on the Grand Cherokee...now i am at odds with myself now as to whether i made the right decision - no its not about purchasing the jeep but as to whether i go overland or not.

I have already signed the papers for a Laredo Diesel with Quad lift, towbar, sunroof, aftermark leather upgrade, front parking sensors....

now for an extra 12k i could get myself an overland, i really want/like that heating and cooling seats, the proper parking sensors, the nappa leather and getting the nappa leather.
I figured i get a few more things, but do you guys really think its worthwhile?

I will be leasing this, but if i go overland i will be leasing it for 5 years contrary to 3 years if i go the laredo.

price different is about 40-50 extra a fortnight.

please help me i am losing sleep over this

Well thats where I got to and we desrve a bit of luxury, and when you compare the price of an Overland with an equivilent Toyota, Rangie etc for the same accessories ( Euro and Pom are all expensive options and Toyota simply don't offer some) then its OVERLAND all the way. Well that was my process and loving it!:thumbsup:

Swampy 07-04-2012 09:53 PM

Myself, I would go the Overland. In addition to what you have said, you also get Active Cruise control, Quadra Drive (if you go off road), 20" wheels, Full Panoramic sunroof (not sure what you are getting as I don't think it was an option on Larado), Driver memory sytem (seats, mirrors and audio), Heated steering wheel (Mrs loves that with the heated seats), Blind spot monitoring (great feature as the JGC does have some big blind spots), Foward collision warning (it works well), Tyre pressure monitoring system, GPS (currently is crap but hopefully update soon will fix that), Premuim stereo system, Power Lift gate (great feature) and a stitched leather dash (looks Schmick).

I have always been taught that generally, in regard to resale value, you are always better to buy a premium model rather than a lower spec model with lots of extras (althouigh I have never tried to calculate whether this is true or not).

At the end of the day, if you get the Overland, you will love it. It really is what I call a luxury SUV / 4WD, but only if the extra 40-50 a fortnight causes no pain.

ENFORCER 07-04-2012 09:58 PM

Swampy has listed all the extras and YES it is worth it.
The vented seats and the ACC alone is worth the extra, but it all depends on what you see the value in.
If you are driving long distances the ACC will make it more relaxing, and the vented seats will stop swamp butt. The only think I do not value is the Pano roof, but the kids like looking at the sky when we are driving.

GlennR 07-04-2012 10:17 PM

I was on the hunt initially for a Limited Diesel with a few add ons. The price came within 5k of the Overland price so it was a no brainer. Not knocking other models (Base Laredo is exceptional value) but really glad I stretched the budget to the Overland. As the guys mention, the additional extras are extremely useful (However did I manage without ACC?.. and the forward collision warning system saved a really nasty accident last weekend). Similar spec'd up prestige marques are upwards of $115k. I looked at the Tourag and the run out ML's when buying the GC but $75k would only get me in a base model if I was lucky. Go the diesel if you can. It's superb.:thumbsup:

AussieWK2 07-04-2012 10:24 PM

I've been driving to work this past week in temps between 5-10 degrees, the seat and steering wheel warmers come into their own! Who'da thought we'd value steering wheel warmers in Brisbane!

We pay circa $75k for an Overland , the yanks pay $50k. Once you get over the disparity issues, all the bells and whistles in the Overland make it worthwhile when comparing with similar class makes or even the X5 or Prado Grande though you will read in this forum CJD Australia "after sales service" is virtually non existent or pathetic at best.

I have not yet come across post / thread of any Overland owner who has complained about the little luxuries this car offers.:)

I think you have answered your own question.......$40-$50 / fortnight is the equivalent of a family takeaway night.

Jeeppleap 07-04-2012 10:26 PM

Sounds to me like you got a very poor price on the Laredo or an amazing price (under $70k) on the Overland.
I went the laredo path. Could afford the overland, but didn't see the value in the extra's - but everyone is different. I like the idea of the cool seats and ACC, but don't see $15-$20k of value in them.
I'm getting the Q-lift, Q-drive, leather, tow-bar, skid plates, full window tinting, recovery hook, 18" tyres for off-road. On the Overland, I would still have to pay extra for all of those except the Q-lift and Q-drive.
Whatever the decision, it should be a great car and if you can afford it and see the value in it, do what you like.

Hickers 07-04-2012 10:29 PM

Resale alone makes the overland the right choice. Gear you add to the car makes little difference when you sell it!

Jeeppleap 07-04-2012 10:37 PM

I also think people are not reading his post fully - it isn't just $40-50 a fortnight more, it is that for three years and then the full lease payments more for two more years - this is a financial commitment not to be taken too lightly.

jorn 07-04-2012 10:47 PM

Jeepleap is right

the larado is 61500
- leather
- sunroof (not pana)
- Quad Lift
- Towbar
- Front parking sensor
and the overland is 74k including towbar

3 year vs 5 years

ive never owned a car more then 18months and have never owend a brand new car either...

Thanks heaps for the quick response -

jorn 07-04-2012 10:51 PM

how much do you think a 5 year old overland with 70-75000 is worth

and a 3 year old laredo with 45000kms is worth?

i know its fairly subjective, but would like to see what you guys think and if you have a crystal ball...

savvas 07-04-2012 10:51 PM

You have to make your on judgement call on the finances, because even though it might be $40-$50/fortnight more, it is for 2 years longer as well.

It also depends what you want to use it for. If you are seriously looking at offroading, then I suggest that quadralift is actually not such a great idea. The potential to damage an air spring, compressor, etc and leave you low to the ground is quite high. Jeep's implementation is nowhere near as good as the Landrover setup, and raised settings it can be uncomfortable. The steel suspension is my choice because there is now aftermarket support through Dobinsons and Murchisons, and there will be more over time.

BUT ... if you're not offroading, then the Overland is a really cool car with an awesome set of features that you will struggle to find in any other brand for less than six figure prices.