Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Export Grand Cherokee 2011+ (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f190/)
-   -   Revised service interval for Aus & NZ? (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f190/revised-service-interval-for-aus-and-nz-44323.html)

John47 07-06-2012 12:55 AM

Revised service interval for Aus & NZ?

I just read a post on the Australian Caravaners Forum in the long running Jeep Grand Cherokee diesel thread.....from a New Zealand owner who posted an extract from a dealer email to him stating that service intervals in Australia and New Zealand have been revised to 20,000k in line with the US.
I've not heard or seen this anywhere else.
Wonder if it is correct? not likely I expect that dealers will rush to get the word out.
Certainly fits with elsewhere in the world and the spec of the oil required by Chrysler.
I am just getting over 5k service intervals on our Patrols (my choice) - 10k was a quantum leap - might be too much of a change for me to go to 20k.

Milous 07-06-2012 02:22 AM

Re: Revised service interval for Aus & NZ?

Quote:

Originally Posted by John47 (Post 652526)
I just read a post on the Australian Caravaners Forum in the long running Jeep Grand Cherokee diesel thread.....from a New Zealand owner who posted an extract from a dealer email to him stating that service intervals in Australia and New Zealand have been revised to 20,000k in line with the US.

20,000km is correct for the 3.0 diesel models.

GlennR 07-06-2012 02:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Milous (Post 652539)

So where does that leave us? My service book (that I assume is linked to my standard warranty) states every 10000kms that most Aussies do in six months with the distances we have to drive. It would be good if Chrysler Australia would make an announcment. Intervals of every 20,000 sounds more reasonable than 10,000 but I would be OVER THE MOON to split the difference, especially at nearly $500 a pop. Or maybe oil only every 10k and other items every 20k? I'd settle for that.

Edit. How about a TSB updating the service log?

BobT 07-06-2012 03:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Milous (Post 652539)

Not so for us Aussies and our Kiwi mates.

It's an interesting issue. Few people wear out petrol engines these days and even fewer wear out diesels. The longevity of Merc diesels is legendary. So I'm not concerned about oil change intervals but not being familiar with turbo diesels, I don't know if there are other issues that require more frequent services. I'd be interested in comments from someone with extensive turbo diesel experience.

Milous 07-06-2012 03:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BobT (Post 652546)
Not so for us Aussies and our Kiwi mates.

It's what the 2011, 2012 and 2013 factory service manuals show...

darthgus 07-06-2012 04:11 AM

http://www.mopar.com.au/Pages/UserCo...p_handbook.pdf

Here is the Australian Handbook for the Jeeps Milous - Page 25 clearly states for us (for some stupid reason) that the service intervals for the Diesel 3.0 is every 10,000 kms/6 months.

EDIT - Also Jeeps website for the current models (http://www.jeep.com.au/compare-models-grand-cherokee) - Under Service and Warranty.

curio 07-06-2012 06:01 AM

So theres a difference between factory service and user manual ?!

G day

Achim

Swampy 07-06-2012 10:42 AM

The problem that we have here in Australia is that the service manual is just a generic document that covers most Jeeps.

I have always found it hard to believe that there wasn't a dedicated service manual available for the JGC.

However, even if it was, I can't see Chrysler Jeep Australia rolling it out, particularly if the service intervals are wider as that would mean less business for the dealer service centres.

Swampy 07-06-2012 10:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Milous (Post 652554)
It's what the 2011, 2012 and 2013 factory service manuals show...

Hi Milous

Are you able to link in a copy of the factory service manual that you are referring to?

John47 07-12-2012 04:56 PM

Interesting to note that on the forum where I first saw this reported, 2 Australian owners now have had confirmation emails from their dealer advising the service interval is definitely 10,000k or 6 months.
One owner advised that he was informed if anything the service interval for the CRD may be shortened "due to constant fuel contamination".
Why am I not surprised??
John

just4fun 10-20-2013 05:33 AM

Any updates to this guys?

Sovereign 10-22-2013 01:52 AM

I have wondered about this too - why would (effectively) the same vehicle in different markets have such vastly different service intervals... As has been previously stated, the difference between an oil change and a full service every year vs one per year is huge. Interesting that the Aust service intervals line up with the China models rather than the EU or US models.

Keen to hear if anyone has heard any more.