Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Trouble Shooting/Problems/Service (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f162/)
-   -   Oil change and capacity? (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f162/oil-change-and-capacity-44343.html)

kevster 07-06-2012 03:08 PM

Oil change and capacity?

I changed the oil/filter today on my 2012 Hemi, had 1,212 miles. I like to change the first oil at 1,000 miles, than 4-5k after. So I installed new Mopar filter,and 7 qts oil, fired her up, let run for a couple minutes,shut her down.. waited 10 minutes checked oil level on dip stick, below the add line, hmmmm I put in 7 qts.. suppose to take 7 qts, so I added another 1/2 qt, and it is perfectly full on the full mark. How many in here have had this issue? nothing serious but all info I have read says 7 qts. and what is the oil pan made out of ? aluminum or?? I also see the tie rods are seriously BEEFY.

radbushi 07-09-2012 12:33 PM

Re: Oil change and capacity?

Is their a magnet on the oil plug?
Thanks
Haven't changed mine yet only 450 miles

Mongoose9400 07-09-2012 08:08 PM

I think that sounds right. The engine may hold 7 qts, but the filter when new and empty needs to be filled as well. If you don't have any oil leaks and the dip stick reading stays on the full mark for the weeks to come I wouldn't worry about it.

I know on the 6.1L Hemi it states the engine is slow draining and to get a good complete drain it needs to be left draining for 20-30 minutes.

elp_jc 07-09-2012 10:16 PM

It always depends how long you drain the oil. And how. I always drain my vehicles overnight, plus I lift them in the direction opposite the drain plug (if drain plug is in rear, I lift vehicle from the front a foot or so). Therefore, I always end up having to use between 1/2 to 1 full quart more than what the manual states. Remember most dealers and shops put the freaking drain plug back before oil finish draining properly, and that's what the 'oil change' quantity comes from. With a wet sump like the 6.4L, you can't go wrong. I always check wet sump vehicles when cool and on my flat garage, for consistent accuracy. But don't get me started with dry-sump cars and motorcycles; it's a b*tch to be consistent, since oil level is highly dependent on oil temperature. Good evening folks.

spiros 09-21-2012 07:00 PM

my dealer used a suction pump.

mjw930 09-22-2012 09:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spiros (Post 686845)
my dealer used a suction pump.

Change dealers.

JEEPYOU 09-24-2012 10:59 AM

Just did mine last weekend, it only took 6 & 1/2. I pre-filled the oil filter and did let it drain for 15 minutes.

I was always told to fill based on the dipstick and not to rely on what the manual says.