Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Troubleshooting/Problems (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f203/)
-   -   abs light (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f203/abs-light-4435.html)

erleep 12-01-2009 11:08 PM

abs light

my abs light comes on when ever it feels like it needs to for no reason most times when its cold out i put new breaks on it all the way around new springs in the rear as well but this was going on before i did the breaks and ideas i also changes the wheel speed censers as i was told this was the problem and it is still coming on the breaks ar just fine and the abs is working as far as i can tell

00wj 12-04-2009 12:46 AM

Re: abs light

i also have this problem... i was told it had to do with some pump... i dont remember which one but it was super exspensive to change. As long as when you brake you dont skid you're fine... if u are skiding u might have a more serious problem than just the light

erleep 12-09-2009 09:40 AM

no i dont skid only when the roads are slippery that is to be expected like today

BIG-O 06-23-2010 11:40 AM

My light came on 3 days ago and has not shut off. What could i start cheking?

I replaced front pads last week only.

Frango100 06-23-2010 02:23 PM

The best is to go somewhere where they have the DRB III scantool. Then they can show you which item is at fault. The main components are the hydraulic unit (with pump) with underneath it the electronic control unit. They sit both on the left side in the engine bay. A dirty connector on one (or more) of the wheel speed sensors is many times the problem. You could start with cleaning the connectors in the system and see if it helps. Removing the battery connector will not errase the ABS memory, so or you have to use the DRB III scantool to clear the fault(s), or after the sytem is ok after 50 engine starts it clears the faults by itself.

BIG-O 06-23-2010 02:45 PM

Anyone have pics or diagrams of wheel speed sensors to clean?
What can I clean senors with? Brake cleaner? Or electrical cleaner?

Frango100 06-23-2010 05:42 PM

As far as i know you have to clean the connectors of the sensors with contact spray cleaner. You can wipe of the face of the sensors with a wet cloth if they are very dirty, but i think that will not help that much.

BIG-O 06-24-2010 08:11 AM

And these are at every wheel behind rim?

Frango100 06-24-2010 10:53 AM

For the forward sensors the connectors are close to the sensors, just follow the electrical wire from the hub inboard. The aft sensor connectors are somewhere under the rear seat carpet close to where the parking brake cables go trough the body structure. These are normally not exposed to humidity so should not be dirty, but can be disconnected or a wire can be shaved through. Close to these 2 connectors you will also find a G switch sensor.

Frango100 06-24-2010 12:18 PM

But as told before, you can solve the problem, but the ABS fault light and fault code will stay until cleared by a DRB III scan tool or after 50 starts.

BIG-O 06-24-2010 12:44 PM

Or unplug negative right?

I will go to autozone first to see what they say.

Frango100 06-24-2010 02:23 PM

I have never tried it myself, but the Jeep service manual says that disconnecting the battery lead will not clear the fault code(s). This does indeed work for the PCM DTC's. I'm not sure though if the ABS fault light will stay iluminated when the fault is cleared, but the memory not errased.