Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Detailing (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f8/)
-   -   Warning - DO NOT USE!! (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f8/warning-do-not-use-44356.html)

06grand 07-06-2012 05:17 PM

Warning - DO NOT USE!!

I recently picked up a bottle of the turtle wax Black Tire Coat, and its awful, I spent the last hour trying to get it off my wheels. Short of paint thinner, im going to have to wait to remove from my tires, I even tried clearasil pads, and no luck. Finally got it off wheels with chrome cleaner. ( i have the plastic chrome wheels) It also flies everywhere else, fortunately not to much got on my paint but just a warning its basically clear coat, looks like crap and totally not worth the time or money compared to all the other options. That'll teach me to try out something new without due diligence. Totally ruined my day :mad::mad::mad:

edit: I know this should be detailing material, but really didnt want anyone to miss this.

JMLoughrey 07-08-2012 08:50 PM

Re: Warning - DO NOT USE!!

as a general rule of thumb, i just stay away from turtle wax products all together.

mTBrunner83 07-08-2012 09:14 PM

That stuff would have been off your wheels in 2 days. And your tires in a week probably less. Definitely doesn't last.

SvenskaJeepGuy 07-08-2012 09:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JMLoughrey (Post 653697)
as a general rule of thumb, i just stay away from turtle wax products all together.

X2 never buy turtle wax products

DAVY27 07-09-2012 12:29 PM

turtle wax FTL!

i use the Meguiars Endurance Gel for the tires.

SvenskaJeepGuy 07-09-2012 03:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DAVY27 (Post 653992)
turtle wax FTL!

i use the Meguiars Endurance Gel for the tires.

Me too! Its a great product, no sling at all!

DAVY27 07-11-2012 01:21 PM

great minds think alike :)

Schweibs 07-13-2012 02:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JMLoughrey (Post 653697)

Really? Never heard anyone say that.

DetailedImage.com 07-17-2012 09:26 PM

A light degreaser will help remove the old residue from your tires, but it will take a few cleanings to fully remove it. I do highly recommend the TUF SHINE Tire Appearance Kit, which includes a tire cleaner, tire cleaning brush, tire clearcoat and applicator. The Tire Cleaner and brush help remove road grime and old dressings. After it is totally clean apply the TUF SHINE Tire Clearcoat, just like a dressing, for a long lasting shine. This water based product will easily last months, not days or weeks. Apply one coat for a dark but matte finish and do 2 - 3 coats if you prefer glossy tires. This combo is incredible and highly recommend it to anyone who wants something that really lasts!

Greg @ DI