Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Interior/Exterior/Visual (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f176/)
-   -   got oem hid projectors installed (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f176/got-oem-hid-projectors-installed-44367.html)

gc4x4 07-06-2012 10:11 PM

got oem hid projectors installed

1 Attachment(s)
I got the oem hid headlights installed in my Laredo, everything works great,however im having a hard time getting the 9005 halogen high beam bulbs into the hid housing, does it suppose take another bulb for the high beams? Thanks

Scottina06 07-07-2012 05:12 AM

I believe they use some sort of 3157 bulb

JTS97Z28 07-07-2012 08:35 AM

Re: got oem hid projectors installed

Yeah I think Scott is right, because on the HID equipped Grand Cherokee's the inner halogen section is not a high beam light. Its nothing more than a DRL since the HID equipped Grand Cherokee's use Bi-Xenon which means the HID projector also acts as the high beam. You will have to figure out a way to activate the high beam feature on the HID projector, OR somehow find a way to install that 9005 bulb into the DRL section and convert that to highbeam since I assume thats how the Laredo comes stock.

James

gc4x4 07-07-2012 08:06 PM

3 Attachment(s)
well i ended up getting the high beams to work by modifying a couple 3157 sockets with a pair of hacked hir bulbs that i had laying around and i used wiring adapters to plug into the stock 9005 wire harness without having to cut anything and voil'a ive got a full functional hid system minus the self-level system.. overall a great addition to my jeep.:D

JRNYC 07-07-2012 09:18 PM

:thumbsup:

Chaoul1 07-07-2012 09:44 PM

Great job! Makes the front more updated.

Jeep_addicted 07-08-2012 07:19 PM

The way the Bixenons function leaves you to come with your own solution for the high beams if your use OEM bixenon housings. If these headlights were easier to get open then popping in a projector would be the way to go.

I have gone to the dealer and played with the overlands on the lot to see how the Bixenons work and if you plan to a swap from halogen to bixenon here is your best bet.

Build yourself a "Y" adaptor from the High beam plug to trigger the shutter and the other leg would have to be fitted with a diode and spliced into to the low beam positive of the ballast so that you could retain the flash to pass function.

Then if you wanted to you could use a DRL harness to get the DRL's working or just go without.

When I am ready for the project that is what I am going to do.

gc4x4 07-08-2012 07:38 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I also had to add a relay kit with power from the battery because i noticed the hids flickering, now they stay on steady with no flicker. I may try to get the bixenon high beam to work eventually but for now this setup works just fine for me.

**update i forgot to show what bulbs i used for the the high beams, i used two 50 watt halogen bulbs for yard lights and mounted them into the 3157 connectors, they just snapped right in and are just far enough to not bother the plastic.**

Jrunr 01-06-2013 09:26 PM

You can't just put a 9005 in there and make it work? I do a lot of back road driving and I would really like/need the dual High Beams...

Jeep_addicted 01-07-2013 03:15 PM

I have built some harnesses that uses the Bixenon the way the factory intended.... this does away with having to retrofit the 9005 bulb

Jrunr 01-11-2013 10:36 PM

Has anyone modified their HID's to get greater output?

bclemons 01-12-2013 07:57 AM

I don't think any one makes a D2S ballast that puts out 55watts.