Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee SRT - WK2 (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f97/)
-   -   Has anybody done a DIY install of the TOWING package? (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f97/has-anybody-done-a-diy-install-of-the-towing-package-44388.html)

elp_jc 07-07-2012 11:41 AM

Has anybody done a DIY install of the TOWING package?

Picking up new SRT Monday due to a broken glovebox. No towing package, but need it. Fortunately, no extra cooling, which is very difficult to retrofit. Only the hitch, wire harness, and spare tire. I assume the 'square' on the bumper can be easily removed.

If somebody has done that, please jump in. I'd like to buy discounted OEM parts, for an OEM fit. If somebody has a recommendation, please post it as well. Many thanks.

Oh, and an unrelated question: HATED the regular DRLs on the inner headlights being lit along with the LEDs underneath. Looks like crap. If the bulbs are removed, I'd probably get an error on the dash due to a blown bulb, right? If that's the case, is there a way to defeat that, with a little resistor or something? That bulb is not needed for anything else, since there's an extra parking light at well. Thanks again.

Scottina06 07-07-2012 12:08 PM

Re: Has anybody done a DIY install of the TOWING package?

justforjeeps.com.call them at 1888-651-jeep and talk with peter...tell him your from here. Also...just pull the relays on the drls...no need to remove the bulb. Fuse box on left side next to hood shock...4 rrelays...pull the two on the far right with "omron" printed on them

HAMMMERHEAD 07-07-2012 01:03 PM

I added the hitch to mine and it wasnt that bad. I dont think there is actually a heavier duty cooling system with the SRT8 model that comes with the towing package. I know it has been noted on the options, but I think its carrry over info for a regular WK2. I had my parts guy look, but couldnt find anything showing different part numbers for the cooling system...bigger radiator, etc. He even looked for different tranny coolers and couldnt find anything. This has not been confirmed, but I have yet to be told different.

There is a good thread somewhere here that has the process step by step and will save a ton of time. I will see if I can find it.

HAMMMERHEAD 07-07-2012 01:12 PM

Here is the thread. All the info is here. Part numbers, prices and install instructions thanks to the help from NEW/SRT8. I would read it all because there are a few items that you will need when putting things back together.

http://www.jeepgarage.org/f97/trailer-hitch-option-anyone-added-it-42990.html

NewSRT-8 07-08-2012 12:13 AM

Def read all the tips.. Without them you might get stuck

elp_jc 07-08-2012 05:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scottina06 (Post 653111)
justforjeeps.com.call them at 1888-651-jeep and talk with peter...tell him your from here. Also...just pull the relays on the drls...no need to remove the bulb.

Thanks a million for the recommendation; greatly appreciate it.
Hey, I want to disable the 'regular' DRLs, NOT the LEDs. The SRT I'm picking up tomorrow lights up BOTH man, and the inner headlights from other WK2s look like crap. If I pull the relays, would the LEDs still light up? Hope so. Please let me know.

Quote:

Originally Posted by HAMMMERHEAD (Post 653137)
Here is the thread.

Quote:

Originally Posted by NewSRT-8 (Post 653365)
Def read all the tips.. Without them you might get stuck

Thank you folks. Will read that thread right now. Am still trying to negotiate for dealer to install it for me, but I don't know if I want them messing with the truck. Hmmmm. Thanks again.