Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Troubleshooting/Problems (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f181/)
-   -   help with door window (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f181/help-with-door-window-44406.html)

Islander 07-07-2012 10:43 PM

help with door window

My daughter's 05 Laredo has a right side rear door window problem she wants me to look at. Last winter it was froze up and her daughter wanted to clear the frost by lowering the window. It went half way down before they heard a loud breaking sound and that was the end of ever moving the window again. They managed to force the window up and jammed it so it wouldn't move but now she wants me to fix it. Is there a likely candidate part I should be looking at?

JMLoughrey 07-08-2012 01:00 AM

Re: help with door window

rip the door panel off, start looking around. I'd say its possible its the window motor or something to do with the window track.

If she heard a loud noise i'd say it should be fairly evident as to what went wrong.

Islander 07-08-2012 01:23 PM

By ripping do you mean it just pulls off, there's no secret hand shake or something?

Madanio24 07-08-2012 02:29 PM

2 screws and pop clips. they just pop off

apower1105 07-08-2012 03:12 PM

The last two cars that I have owned I had to replace 4 window regulators. The problem I had with all four of them was that cable was breaking off of the track or slipping off and then getting bird nested, which required me to buy new regulators.

If you can hear the window motor trying to work inside the door but nothing is moving then most likely you just need to buy a new window regulator(the track) which you can find on EBAY and just swap the old motor onto the new regulator. If the motor has completely just stop working then you can buy a window regulator with a new motor and just swap them out. Its a pretty straight forward job, just remove the old and put the new one in the same spot, just a few bolts holding it in. I always found that taking the panel off for my first time was harder than actually replacing the window regulator, just because I didn't want to break anything.

Just take the panel off and start looking around, you will see whats wrong.

Islander 07-08-2012 03:53 PM

Thanks, I'll get her over and dig into it. The panel part worried me the most.

JMLoughrey 07-09-2012 05:29 PM

yup, no hidden tricks or bolts on the wks. one or two screws and the panel pops off. Jeep is notorious for having stubborn clips. If you dont already have some, i'd highly reccommend you pick up some panel popping tools from habor freight of something. They are cheap, about $5 for the set and they are great for removing panels without maring or scratching anything.

2005JGC 07-09-2012 06:51 PM

I will say I have done it once or twice, but I have yet to find a pannel popping tool that actually worked worth a damn on chrysler products that you could actually get behind the door pannel far enough to apply pressure to the clip without straining the edge of the door pannel, honestly, take the screw in the handle and the latch release handle then grab the cup holder at the bottom of the door pannel and just give it a nice sharp tug, if you get some to pop loose you have leaverage fromt he door pannel to pop the rest loose easy... NOTE: obviously this doesnt work on everything, some pannels are multiple pieces plastic welded together, or weaksauce pockets that can and will break with too much force, but I have never had a problem on the WK, they are pretty tough.

As stated, if you can hear the motor running I wouldnt waste your time, hell given the story and the fact they were able to pull the window up I would honestly be comefortable just saying to order up a regulator, as stated the cables can break which is what allows the windows to move by hand (otherwise they dont move unless the motor tells it to move). Pretty simple repair, you will have here up and running in no time!

Madanio24 07-10-2012 04:38 AM

At the bottom of the door panel there is a small raised slit thzat allows you to stick the panel popping tool under it zand easily start the popping sequence.