Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Tires (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f185/)
-   -   RC Lift HELP.... [PICS] (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f185/rc-lift-help-pics-44452.html)

dane.p 07-08-2012 07:55 PM

RC Lift HELP.... [PICS]

3 Attachment(s)
Okay, so i got farther than last attempt. ive got the strut spacer on and the strut into place. But because there is a 2 inch difference, getting the strut back into the lower strut mount on the lower control arm is impossible!!!! I need a bit of help!

dane.p 07-08-2012 09:29 PM

Re: RC Lift HELP.... [PICS]

I need some help by tmw!! please!!!!

mTBrunner83 07-08-2012 10:02 PM

This is where the spring compressor comes into play. Really you wanted to get the strut tower bolted back into lower control arm and then get the whole tower under the upper control arm. That is why they say use a spring compressor and floor jack. You could try get a second set of hands and having them push down on the lower control arm to get enough clearance. But I would recommend bolt the tower to the lower control arm and then getting the upper tower under the upper control arm. But again a spring compressor is going to make the whole process easier.

dane.p 07-08-2012 10:07 PM

i actually borrowed a strut compressor from a neighbor and i tried to use it, but no matter how much i tightened it, the spring was the only thing shortening, not the strut, itself. and i cant get enough clearance even when i push the lower control arm down. the strut compressor that i have connects to the coil and brings it together, but even when that happens, the strut stays the same length.

mTBrunner83 07-08-2012 10:09 PM

That is why the strut tower needs to be bolted into the lower control arm first. Then you use the spring compressor to compress to coils so you can fit it under the upper control arm into the tower mounting points at the top.

dane.p 07-08-2012 10:11 PM

doesnt the upper control arm get into the way???

dane.p 07-08-2012 10:20 PM

oh so you use the strut compressor to compress the coil and then push down on the strut to fit it under the UCA?

mTBrunner83 07-08-2012 10:39 PM

Yes but with the coil compressor you should be able to get that under with no trouble. You may have to push down on the lower control arm a bit. People have done this without a strut coil compressor, but it is a struggle.

dane.p 07-08-2012 10:44 PM

i trie the connection between the UCA and the LCA and it was quite hard. anything special for that either?

mTBrunner83 07-08-2012 11:00 PM

I used a jack to get it up in place and then pulled the uca down to pop it into the ball joint. Was tough, but it is doable. Someone suggested a ratchet strap and pull them together.

dane.p 07-08-2012 11:10 PM

thats actually a smart idea! But thanks!!!! Great help :)

mTBrunner83 07-09-2012 01:20 PM

So did you get it sorted then?