Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Troubleshooting/Problems (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f203/)
-   -   Vibration and roaring sound (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f203/vibration-and-roaring-sound-44464.html)

campers 07-09-2012 07:39 AM

Vibration and roaring sound

Hello,
I am a new member and owner of a 2004 Grand Cherokee Overland 4x4
with a V8 engine. Bought is new and do have problems with a vibration and a roaring noise since new when driving above 50 m/h
Now it gets so bad that I am considering to sell the car. But somebody told me about your website and maybe I can get help on here because I do love my Jeep.
Now when driving 50 m/h the vibration and the roaring sound starts and when driving faster, its gets real bad, like my driveshaft is total out of balance. Slowing down to 40 again and a shimmy is noticed at my steering wheel.
The repairshop replaced already the transfer case and balanced the drive shafts. Replaced the UJ's and checked on any loose parts.
Also did he drive without the front diveshaft and told me that than the noise and vibration was over.
Hope I can get an advise on here what to do.
Thanks,
Wil

01grand 07-09-2012 10:29 PM

Re: Vibration and roaring sound

It could be a problem in the front differential, or the CV joints on the ends of the axle.

Frango100 07-10-2012 04:52 PM

Was the T-case replaced due to this problem?
Where is the vibration felt, in steering wheel or is the whole jeep vibrating?
When the noise and vibration stops when the front propeller shaft is out, then the possibilities are already reduced. On my jeep there are CV joints on the front propeller shaft, they will produce vibration and some sound when worn or running dry. I presume the repairshop knew what they where doing, so we could say that the joints should be ok. They also checked that the shaft is not slightly bend? I wonder how they balanced the propeller shaft:confused:
Sometimes removing the propeller shaft and mounting it again in 180 deg different position could make some change.
If the shaft is not the problem, it could be something in the diff, however i wonder if that would make strong vibrations.

smokin151 07-10-2012 04:56 PM

the driveshaft is not serviceable, also the propeller shaft at t-case normally fails causing this wicked vibration have them check that

campers 07-12-2012 08:27 AM

Thanks for your help.Will try to buy a new front driveshaft and keep you posted.
Is there any place other than the dealer who sells those?

chonore 07-20-2012 08:44 AM

I am having a similar problem with the vibration in the steering wheel. It started at about 60 miles. I brought it in and had the tires balanced by the dealer and the tire manufacturer. The vibration is gets worse the faster I drive. My hand obviously shakes when I am driving. I hear a thumping sound when it vibrates as if something is rubbing against something else. It could be a defect in the tires or in the wheels.