Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Engine Performance/Intake/Exhaust (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f183/)
-   -   Transmission Service (drain/filter change) - cost (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f183/transmission-service-drain-filter-change-cost-44477.html)

brentwoodkris 07-09-2012 01:21 PM

Transmission Service (drain/filter change) - cost

Ok guys -- here's the jam:

Rig: '05 WK 5.7L Limited 4x4

Initially I had planned on doing my transmission service myself (to my knowledge, the PO had it done around 55k, but the fluid is at 97k now and is getting brown), but I just got a quote from the local dealer for $300 before tax for the drain and filter change.

$300 seems a bit excessive to me and I could swear that I had it quoted before around $220 or less...

Yes, I'm opting for the drain/change versus the power flush due to the wonderful advice on these boards.

I didn't think I'd have the time to do the service myself, but to potentially save a couple hundred bux...I might have to MAKE the time.

So my question is, how much are the fluid/filter(s) from the dealer and local shops?

And second, what do local shops around you guys quote for the drain/filter swap?

Also, thinking about using Walmart ATF+4 SuperTech fluid because it's cheap and certified. Opinions?

Thanks in advance.

SvenskaJeepGuy 07-09-2012 02:24 PM

Re: Transmission Service (drain/filter change) - cost

the only time i ever had it done was under warranty so it was only a $100 deductable, but i think the charge on the bill was for $125

Walt 07-09-2012 05:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brentwoodkris (Post 654017)
Ok guys -- here's the jam:

Rig: '05 WK 5.7L Limited 4x4

Initially I had planned on doing my transmission service myself (to my knowledge, the PO had it done around 55k, but the fluid is at 97k now and is getting brown), but I just got a quote from the local dealer for $300 before tax for the drain and filter change.

$300 seems a bit excessive to me and I could swear that I had it quoted before around $220 or less...

Yes, I'm opting for the drain/change versus the power flush due to the wonderful advice on these boards.

I didn't think I'd have the time to do the service myself, but to potentially save a couple hundred bux...I might have to MAKE the time.

So my question is, how much are the fluid/filter(s) from the dealer and local shops?

And second, what do local shops around you guys quote for the drain/filter swap?

Also, thinking about using Walmart ATF+4 SuperTech fluid because it's cheap and certified. Opinions?

Thanks in advance.

1. ATF+4 is about $5-6 per qt. You probably need 7-8 qts for a 545RFE xmission.

2. Filters (2) run $45-60 depending where you buy. I will stay with MOPAR because I have the lifetime limited powertrain warranty.

3. Just got a quote from the dealer for $165, all included.

CAUTION: This advice may be worth what you paid to get it. Hope this helps.

Madanio24 07-09-2012 06:09 PM

300 dollars is a pretty good deal.I paid pepboys 400 for a full flush, fluid, and filter change. This was 3 years ago, i probably paid a little too muich for it.

brentwoodkris 07-10-2012 12:28 AM

What's with the difference in price at the dealers? $165 compared to $300 at mine and then $400+ at pepboys? This sounds unreal.

SvenskaJeepGuy 07-10-2012 12:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Madanio24 (Post 654157)
300 dollars is a pretty good deal.I paid pepboys 400 for a full flush, fluid, and filter change. This was 3 years ago, i probably paid a little too muich for it.

you were ripped off :eek:

Madanio24 07-10-2012 04:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SvenskaJeepGuy (Post 654361)
you were ripped off :eek:

Yep, sad to say I was. I also had to bring the jeep back to them 3 times because they caused a leak by not putting the gasket on properly.

brentwoodkris 07-10-2012 08:27 AM

I wish my dealer wasn't literally the only Jeep dealer in town. It's probably why their prices are so high. Svenska, which dealer in PA did you call?

SvenskaJeepGuy 07-10-2012 01:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brentwoodkris (Post 654440)
I wish my dealer wasn't literally the only Jeep dealer in town. It's probably why their prices are so high. Svenska, which dealer in PA did you call?

i had mine serviced at Scranton Dodge/Jeep. i will be taking it there again in 5-7k more miles. this is the only service i dont do myself

05WK 07-12-2012 06:45 PM

Also our electrical seal/gaskets are known to leak. My leaked badly after I had mine serviced and had to be replaced. Drips around the pan which looks like a gasket leak.

ChrisWk 07-12-2012 09:06 PM

My dealership in Atlanta has coupons on trans filter fluid for $189 sometimes lower.300 is to high.