Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Tech Tips/DIY/How To (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f156/)
-   -   Reset oil change reminder question (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f156/reset-oil-change-reminder-question-44479.html)

Jdsmitty10 07-09-2012 01:45 PM

Reset oil change reminder question

Hey all. I did my first oil change at about 2700 miles to drain the factory oil/put Mobil 1 synthetic in. I followed the steps to reset the oil change "countdown". The oil change light was not on but I chose to change it.

My question is, if I do the "on", 3 slow gas pedal pumps within 10 sec, then off. Should I get a message saying its reset? I did not and was just wondering if I did it right?

Ratchet 07-09-2012 01:57 PM

Re: Reset oil change reminder question

There won't be any conformation message. The indicator will simply turn off after the ignition switch is cycled in the end.

Jdsmitty10 07-09-2012 02:29 PM

Ok. So if no indicator was on will that process restart my 8k miles/6month countdown?

Justal13 07-09-2012 04:42 PM

Yes, it should "restart" it. Unfortunately, there is no way to verify this if your indicator light never lit (ie: you changed your oil "early"). That is why I put a sticker on the drivers door (inside) with the date and mileage as a reminder, and am filling in the info in the owner's manual maintenance section if the dealer did not do the change (I was told to keep records and receipts as proof maintenace is getting done on schedule, to avoid any warranty questions).

AAAA 07-09-2012 07:11 PM

Since you are not doing the changes per the parameters programmed into the vehicle you can ignore resetting until it activates on it own. Then reset. That's what I do.

Jdsmitty10 07-09-2012 09:18 PM

Ya I wrote in my book and kept receipts.. I will probably go by the evic now that I got it switched to synthetic.. It will probably be every 6 months rather than 8k miles.. We don't drive it that much.. Do all our "running around" in our other car..

Webby1970 08-25-2012 01:01 AM

Hi all, I have one of the local tuners service my CRD. They did the 10k with no issue but at the 20k they were unable to reset the Oil Change Due light. I have tried repeatedly to turn it off, ie Ign 3 pumps of the pedal then off, to no avail. I was going to wait till next time I need to go to the dealer(if ever) but thought I would ask if anyone can suggest where I may be going wrong or if there is another step/method to reset this. Thanks in advance.

Milous 08-25-2012 01:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Webby1970 (Post 674888)
...they were unable to reset the Oil Change Due light. I have tried repeatedly to turn it off, ie Ign 3 pumps of the pedal then off, to no avail.

The reset procedure is different for the 3.0L export models:

1. Cycle the ignition to the "ON/RUN" position (Do not start the engine).
2. Fully depress the accelerator pedal and keep it fully depressed for at least 30 seconds.
3. Press and release the brake pedal six times while holding the accelerator pedal pressed.
4. Perform one ignition OFF-ON cycle, start the engine and verify that the reminder has been reset.

Webby1970 08-25-2012 07:03 PM

Thanks Milous, worked a treat. It would be handy if the Owners Manual supplied had the correct information. Thanks again.

Duff Daddy 08-25-2012 07:42 PM

Just an FYI there are some (depending on the year) that will actually show a "reset" message. Im not 100% of the year or models but I know I have seen this on 2010+ EVIC cars.

americanbulldog 08-27-2012 03:16 PM

As an engineer, you're supposed to try to envision alot of different scenarios. Therefore, why didn't they envision people performing early oil changes by giving a confirmation of the oil change reset being done correctly? That's a simple and obvious one to consider, doesn't make me confident about more complicated things with this vehicle as it gets older...

armoredsaint 10-19-2012 09:01 AM

with all the cool reminders and gadgets the JGC has - I wish they had a simple confirmation or reminder oil life etc...