Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner

GC Moose Test Fail

5K views 12 replies 10 participants last post by  Dasher 
#1 ·
#2 ·
That's a bit scary, fingers crossed someone at Jeep sees this and takes it seriously enough to come up with a fix.

I have noticed some "roll" myself but that is compared to my last car which was an X5. I never did expect the GC to handle as well as the X5 but it would be nice to know that it won't roll over in an emergency.

#3 ·
Yeah it is weird that this video shows the car is stable. They may have turned off the ESC on the Moose test and not mentioned it.

#4 · (Edited)
Not enough detail to make an informed judgement on this. This looks like an Overland (sunroof), therefore has quadralift. What setting was the QL on? Also, you will note that the front left tyre has gone down to the rim on the evasive maneouvre. Is it underinflated? I'd expect deformation of the side wall but that's extreme.

He's only doing 63.5km/hr ... that's hardly flying.

The Euro NCAP test that is linked to above is done at 80km/h and the steering is activated much faster than the swedish test, and yet the GC goes nowhere near rolling over. This link explains this test ... http://www.euroncap.com/Content-Web-Page/bf07c592-4f87-404e-bb06-56f77faee5a2/esc.aspx

The Euro NCAP test results are here .. http://www.euroncap.com/results/jeep/grand_cherokee/2011/460.aspx

#5 ·
Likewise, we need to know more. Europeans tend to change tyres seasonally so maybe they were running high performance road tyres for their summer which would produce considerably greater lateral forces than our so-so all season Kumhos. Still, I'd be happier if it had passed.

#8 ·
We're taught not to swerve to avoid stray skippies and other wildlife, no matter what the vehicle you're driving. Too many drivers have been killed by taking evasive action and ending up wrapped around a tree. Having said that, I wouldn't fancy my chances with the 2 tonne camels roaming around the "red centre."

#9 ·
Thanks Scott, that is good to know. Bit of a worry that they can rig these tests. We all know about the harm this test did on the A class Merc.

#10 ·
If the vehicle was overloaded and the ESC was turned off (plus I suspect the suspension was in Off Road 1 position - look at the static photos, vehicle looks high when standing and in the turn has tire compression but with little or no suspension compression) the vehicle performed particularly well -it did not roll over after this violent and unusual test.
The credibility of the "moose/elk" test is poor, no vehicle fails the initial avoidance maneouver but just about all have some instability problems at the violent opposite change back to the original lane. Simply due to the driving procedure - same exit speed as entry (unusual in a similar real world emergency - you would either off the throttle and/or braking) plus the cross arm steering technique gives the driver a lot of leverage in the opposite lock situation. This is why it is used in car rallying ("scandinavian flick technique") and it is designed to unstable the suspension into oversteer.
If it is true that the ESC was disabled and the vehicle loaded beyond its registered GVM then I think Chrysler should sue these turkeys but having some knowledge of the swedish legal system; I would have to wish them good luck.
Just to add I can recall a prominant Swedish car manufacturer was accused of allegedly reinforcing their car bodies in crash testing advertising so horses for courses.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.