Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Trouble Shooting/Problems/Service (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/)
-   -   Overbland front end noise,humm moan droan woobwoob (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/overbland-front-end-noise-humm-moan-droan-woobwoob-44512.html)

Djv1389 07-10-2012 07:19 AM

Overbland front end noise,humm moan droan woobwoob

We have a noise in the front end of our jeep that vibrates the steering wheel.it started in February and has gotten loader ever since.the dealer replaced the power steering rack both bearings and ps prop shaft.for 12000 no noise now that we replaced the tires that were just feathered on the outside edges because Chrysler said first alignment then tires,so 3 dealer visits more of my money and time(not getting any younger).they are now looking into the dif and trans and also transfer case,they are going to check fluid levels and then what drag it out until I'm out of warranty.went to 3 dealers so far staying with the nearest one now.tire shop said that there is no way it is tires.i do not want to get injured or get my kids hurt most of all.i read a post where a bolt was found in a dif,it was not from the dif but another assembly bolt and it locked up the front end another the transfer case locked up the front dif and ripped the gears apart.i'm tired of hearing it's ok it is not I've bought several jeeps from 96 to our 2011 which I used to love the most till now I wish I had my 1996 back 80000 wonderful miles.

ajs800 07-10-2012 08:23 AM

Re: Overbland front end noise,humm moan droan woobwoob

how loud is this noise that you are hearing? is it more of a thump feelin the steering wheel or a constant vibration? Is it still present when coasting in "N" or only under load?

Djv1389 07-10-2012 10:35 AM

thanks for the reply,the noise is there while coasting the tech even turned off the car going down hill and it was still there also tried sport mode and all the rest and all suspension settings.i had my wife drive and hit the brakes while i watched the tires to see if i had a bad A arm bushing.the noise is constant in tone and in how frequent it changes tone best way to describe it is if you took a whine glass half full wet a finger and ran thar finger around the rim.the sound of the noise is more like a bad strut.the sound does change with pavement tar and chip and rain groved being the worst it also gets loader with speed but it is there on smooth pave and does not get loader.ran car in reverse to the left and to the right doing circles in a empty parking lot.i have a mic that came with my pioneer elite reciever i want to try putting it under the car and routing the wire carefully to see if i can detect anything.i thank all who have replied and helped.

ajs800 07-10-2012 11:55 AM

I'm guessing it's in the front axle...someone else had a bearing and axle replaced and all is good now.

Djv1389 07-10-2012 12:29 PM

es i have seen 3 different posts so far where they changed the bearing and the axle,i wonder why posibly the bearing was damaged by a untrue axle.i also seen a individual have the two front air struts replaced for what was a simalar noise.do you actualy know how the air strut works is there a strut in side the air bag?i looked on line for a cross section could not find one but i found the price 1200 a piece which i would not mind paying if i know my noise would go away.my wife will not even drive the vehicle now we bought the car for long trips with the back seat tv i als use my iphone to watch my home dvr live but now we are driving our 2005 limited it also has the quadra drive 2 no noise though it is trouble free.

Djv1389 07-12-2012 06:24 AM

Going to the dealer today lost count awhile ago.hopefuly they will look in the right places this time(like where the noise is).will update during the day last time I was there I went at 8:00 came home at 1:30

Vivid 07-12-2012 10:48 AM

Mine makes a groan and vibration at stoplights sometimes. Like the air compressor is turning on or something. Noticed it a few times.

Djv1389 07-12-2012 12:39 PM

This noise comes and goes.more on then off lately and is starting to develop more of a metallic sound as of late.been here at the dealer since 8:00 now it is 1:38 hope some one finds something.

ajs800 07-12-2012 03:23 PM

^^^this is definitely sounding very different then what I'm experiencing. Mine is actually hardly noticeable at highway speeds like it once was. I'm now at 14k miles and probably something I'm going to not worry about. I still have slight tire/wheel vibrations at high speeds with the 20" wheels/tires, but that seems to be an ongoing issue as well with the 20" wheel pkg.

Keep us posted...hopefully they discover something.

kaflyboy 07-12-2012 08:57 PM

See if you can find some of my old posts regarding this issue. I had the same problem. I chased it for months. Replaced front axle and a bearing. Problem fixed.

Djv1389 07-12-2012 11:22 PM

Yes to ajs800 there is a definite noise differnce between what I have and what you are hearing mine kind of sounds like if you had a shaft with a grease bushing that has not been greased in A long time.back to kalfyboy I have read your old posts it might sound odd but reading these stories keeps me From giving up seeing that some vehicles have been fixed.when they replaced your axle and bearings did they say what was bad on the axle or was it bent.the dealer did find that the bracket just front of the jack point in front was crushed because some one put a jack there, they are replacing them on both sides.i do not like the other dealers as much 1 reason every visit if they do not do work is 70$ another is they are not as careful with my car the large dealer I went to scrached 2 of my rims right into the metal.just got my new chemical guys wax so me and the car can hang out this weekend.once again thank you All for the help.

Djv1389 07-17-2012 02:07 PM

Just got off the phone they are going to see if they can get the district rep involved I think someone should do something after 30+ days at the dealer and several other trips to other opinions and test drives in other vehicles.this is just crazy 6 months and no fix.I understand things are made by humans and to be human is to error but there is a fine line between patience and stupidity!