Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Suspension/Driveline/Brakes/Wheels/Tires (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f109/)
-   -   I know this is probably dumb... (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f109/i-know-this-is-probably-dumb-44529.html)

5.7x360 07-10-2012 02:40 PM

I know this is probably dumb...

For anyone that has pondered the idea of cutting the spings on your jeep, beware. The rears work great and for the person that wants to just level out the car and get rid of the rake taking out 1 coil does the job perfectly. Now the front is where the troubles begin, do not attempt to do the fronts because the coils on the top are angled to work to fit the strut mount and the rest do not follow the rythym. I thought I would do it for the time being just for the heck of it till I get the eibachs and because of boredom but it was the worst attempt to a job I have ever had.....

I feel dumb now.

Duff Daddy 07-10-2012 07:33 PM

Re: I know this is probably dumb...

wow first off you really cut coils on a new $30,000 car??? and second, you can cut coils on NON PROGRESSIVE SPRINGS (IE MUSTANG COILS IN THE REAR) ....if you cut progressive springs think.... civic bounce over bumps...thats no hombre..

akimball 07-10-2012 07:52 PM

i dont think "dumb" covers it ...

JeepMonster 07-10-2012 10:19 PM

Just smh, so sad.

jp467 07-10-2012 11:18 PM

This is crazy to me. Cars and truck in general have enough problems without going out and creating them. Sounds like you want the rear dragging on the ground whenever you put some weight back there not to mention how this will screw up the ride and alignment and driving dynamics. To answer you question yes this is very dumb.

5.7x360 07-11-2012 08:49 AM

well atleast im not doing it on a 65000 dollar srt8, i got the idea from a silver one that I had seen on google searching images and he said his was fine, also I beleive king monkey is running cut springs also that work fine on his srt. On top of that I only took one coil out of the rear and actually it did not change the ride quality or dynamics at all, it actually stays a little flatter in the turns and the appearence is a lot better now that the huge rake is gone. Yes I feel dumb but atleast I can admit that I feel that way for trying it even though the rear worked out perfectly it just doesnt work on the front.

xJoshxx 07-11-2012 08:09 PM

Should of just bought Eibach Lowering springs...

http://performance-suspension.eibach...rokee_2011.pdf

I mean seriously....

https://forums.playfire.com/_proxy/?...93d62bbb924541

five.7 Hemi 07-12-2012 01:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 5.7x360 (Post 654599)
For anyone that has pondered the idea of cutting the spings on your jeep, beware. The rears work great and for the person that wants to just level out the car and get rid of the rake taking out 1 coil does the job perfectly. Now the front is where the troubles begin, do not attempt to do the fronts because the coils on the top are angled to work to fit the strut mount and the rest do not follow the rythym. I thought I would do it for the time being just for the heck of it till I get the eibachs and because of boredom but it was the worst attempt to a job I have ever had.....

I feel dumb now.

F* those guys. Where do you thing "hot rodding" came from? You have to try shit out and see what happens, don't be a scared little "kitty". I have the Eibachs and I still think about cutting off 1 coil or maybe 1/2 a coil in the rear to level it out. It's my shit I'll do with it what I want. Big F'ing deal its just springs......its easy to buy new ones.

good for you and thanks for the info!

5.7x360 07-13-2012 12:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by five.7 Hemi (Post 655568)
F* those guys. Where do you thing "hot rodding" came from? You have to try shit out and see what happens, don't be a scared little "kitty". I have the Eibachs and I still think about cutting off 1 coil or maybe 1/2 a coil in the rear to level it out. It's my shit I'll do with it what I want. Big F'ing deal its just springs......its easy to buy new ones.

good for you and thanks for the info!

Thank you, atleast there some open minded people here.... besides all i was trying to do was help everyone else out that ever had the thought... sheeshhh:slapfight:

kevster 07-13-2012 07:49 PM

I know it is Important of how the springs were cut, if heat is applied say by torch than you remove the tensel strength..etc. If you cut the springs by some cutting wheel and the springs did not get that hot than all should be good. You can always have a spring shop fab new ones for the rear to keep the leveled look. How did you cut the springs and with what?? how bout a pic..of GC leveled..