Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Engine Performance/Intakes/Exhausts (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f108/)
-   -   Ready for some tuning? Look here! (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f108/ready-for-some-tuning-look-here-44548.html)

Scottina06 07-10-2012 07:17 PM

Ready for some tuning? Look here!

http://jeepgarage.org/showthread.php?t=44040

armoredsaint 07-10-2012 07:55 PM

Re: Ready for some tuning? Look here!

i'm confused, is that for the SRT8 only?

cliff notes?

JTS97Z28 07-10-2012 08:03 PM

Here is what I am interested in. Since I have the little V6 I have no interest in making it faster, or super hard shifts, or to remove traction control or anything like that. What I want to know is if he can modify the shift points so this Overland of mine drives like a normal f'ing car lol. I love my 2012 Overland, but cannot stand when it shifts into 2nd and is trying to accelerate at 1100rpm with cars behind me. Whoever came up with the shifting programs on this Jeep certainly doesn't have to drive one everyday. Not only is it annoying, but it takes away any possibility of it being an enjoyable "drivers" car.

So I wonder if this guy can tweak the V6 ECU to shift at much better points and I guess make any other drivability improvements while he's at it. Added fuel economy would always be greatly appreciated.
If so I would be VERY interested.

James

uofh2005 07-10-2012 08:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by armoredsaint (Post 654758)
i'm confused, is that for the SRT8 only?

cliff notes?

bottom of page 5 says can do for the v6 and the 5.7 v8 engine.

Scottina06 07-10-2012 09:32 PM

sorry...page 5

2011hemigc4me 07-10-2012 10:51 PM

How much? How much down time if you don't have a core ecu so swap?

padgett 07-10-2012 10:52 PM

Not sure what the problem is. My V6 has no problem leaving traffic at a stoplight. Must admit that most of the time I "drive gentle" which may be why I average over 20 mpg in mixed driving though have no trouble merging on the Interstate. Still several people have commented that it is a lot faster than they expected. Maybe I just got a good one.

Only thing I plan to change is to get it to run about 15F cooler.

jgc4ever 07-10-2012 11:36 PM

The engines are designed to run at high temps. Reducing the temp could be a mistake.

JTS97Z28 07-11-2012 06:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by padgett (Post 654830)
Not sure what the problem is. My V6 has no problem leaving traffic at a stoplight. Must admit that most of the time I "drive gentle" which may be why I average over 20 mpg in mixed driving though have no trouble merging on the Interstate. Still several people have commented that it is a lot faster than they expected. Maybe I just got a good one.

Only thing I plan to change is to get it to run about 15F cooler.

Well maybe the way I explained it came off harsh. My Jeep drives perfectly fine, its just that I personally am not happy with the shift points. Why they would design this thing to shift so early just ruins the driving experience for me. And besides I don't see how bogging the engine can help improve economy. So I wasn't saying my Jeep had a lack of power because it doesnt, it goes just fine if I make it, but during economy minded driving it simply has annoyingly bad shift points.

armoredsaint 07-11-2012 07:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jgc4ever (Post 654847)
The engines are designed to run at high temps. Reducing the temp could be a mistake.

Tell me more?:confused:

Scottina06 07-11-2012 07:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jgc4ever (Post 654847)

this is still a basic internal combustion engine....running cooler, ingesting cooler air aides in better hp and will not damage it at all. Even Chrysler is gonna use FI on this powerplant. All of the specs of the engine say its perfect for forced induction.

FAUEE 07-13-2012 08:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scottina06 (Post 654921)
this is still a basic internal combustion engine....running cooler, ingesting cooler air aides in better hp and will not damage it at all. Even Chrysler is gonna use FI on this powerplant. All of the specs of the engine say its perfect for forced induction.

You're confusing a few concepts here into one big concept.

What he's saying is right, a warmed up engine is more efficient, and engines have operating temperatures they're designed for, and use more fuel until they reach that temperature. Lowering the temperature the engine is trying to run at may put it out of balance, and reduce efficiency.

What you're thinking of is the temperature of intake air. It's a common misconception that colder air is better always. Cooler air is denser, and thus, requires more gas to achieve the correct mixture. Where people get tripped up is that since the air is denser, and more gas is injected, you get more power. You're not getting more power from the air, you're getting more power because you're injecting more gas in to offset the extra air.

Truthfully, a hot air intake is better for fuel economy, as hot air is less dense, and thus less gas is injected for combustion. Less gas injected = higher fuel economy.