Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Troubleshooting/Problems (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f181/)
-   -   2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo Rear Diff Noise (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f181/2007-jeep-grand-cherokee-laredo-rear-diff-noise-44594.html)

Rod V 07-11-2012 10:12 PM

2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo Rear Diff Noise

Hi, I recently had the 80,000 mile scheduled maintenance done at the local dealership. The only issue they found was a leaking rear diff pinion seal. So 900 bucks later and a new pinion seal, I'm driving out of the parking lot and I hear a loud whining sound coming from the rear. The noise was not there before they replaced the seal. The noise starts at 10-15 mph and increases the faster I go. At around 60-70 mph the noise decreases a bit. It doesn't make any noise turning corners, no clanking, thunks or any other sound. The whining sounds like a manual transmission truck in reverse. The dealer says it's probably a wheel bearing. Any ideas?
thanks
Rod

dr.lee.baugh 07-12-2012 08:48 AM

Re: 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo Rear Diff Noise

They may have messed up the bearing pre-load when replacing the pinion seal and re-torquing the pinion nut.

They also may have forgot to top up the diff after servicing...though I would hope not!

Take it back, and say that the noise wasn't there before they replaced the pinion seal.

They can easily check if it is a wheel bearing (though from the noise you describe, it doesn't really sound like one) vs. the differential by checking for play in the wheel bearing. Also, if it is a wheel bearing it should alter the noise it makes as you go around curves, since the weight on the bearing shifts (which you state it does not).

Not saying that they for sure screwed up, but they certainly should look at it if the noise occurred immediately after they serviced it.

4.whoa 07-12-2012 10:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rod V (Post 655328)
The whining sounds like a manual transmission truck in reverse.

That alone says to me they messed up the preload.

Rod V 07-12-2012 07:16 PM

I took the service manager at the dealership for a very short ride (200) yards this morning, and by the look on his face I could tell he knows exactly what the problem is and that they screwed up. All he said was that they would take care of the repairs if it was their fault, which kinda scares me. Anyways, I'll find out tomorrow what the problem is.

dr.lee.baugh 07-12-2012 07:41 PM

Glad the dealership is stepping up and is willing to take responsibility for things if they messed up.

Duff Daddy 07-12-2012 08:11 PM

THe dealer wont. They will warranty the seal and factory will pay for the repairs due to failed seal causing damage.... but good you took it right back to get it taken care of.