Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Audio/Visual/Navigation (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f155/)
-   -   Upgraded to 430N - First thoughts (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f155/upgraded-to-430n-first-thoughts-44644.html)

talon38c 07-12-2012 11:59 PM

Upgraded to 430N - First thoughts

I just bought a new 2012 Cherokee. Cloth seats, QTII and UConnect. I bought it with the 130 radio and ordered the 430N and backup camera. Last week the 430N came in and I had the dealer install it. Took them the entire day (it was the first time they had installed a 430N) but it installed without a hitch. :thumbsup:

Everything seems to work as I take the time to explore all the menus, controls, connections and attach various devices.

It's interesting that the Ipod is recognized as a storage device from the radio USB but as a music device from the center consol USB port. Whether that is by design or not It seems better that way since I can hide the device in the center console rather than connecting to the radios face with cables drapped all over the place.

The 430N recognizes the music files, songs, artists, etc. in this mode and I use the 430N display to navigate through the song choices but the menuing system is a bit clunky and it takes forever to find a song when there are 500+ songs on the device.

When the Ipod is connected using the bayonet connector selecting music is a bit easier since the Ipods menuing system is far better. The downside to it is you have to take your eyes off the road to look down at the device.

Navigating between the AM, FM, Satellite, other media and the Garmin Navigation is quite easy. I'm familiar with had Garmins so I like it. It is odd however that some of the menus are black and white while others are in color. My guess is that Chrysler had some of the programming chores and the black and white menus may have been a part of their effort.

I always pull off the road to input my destination addresses but I can see the annoyance in having to do that when you have a perfectly good passenger besides you who can enter the destination while you keep your eyes on the road.

I'll definitely need to replace the speakers. The Cherokees basic speakers are really awful. I just traded in my 2011 Honda Pilot and its baseline speakers are far, far, better but it did not have anything like UConnect at the price level I bought it at. It's always about tradeoffs. I'll definitely be getting some new speakers installed once I figure out what is available.

I bought the Grand Cherokee :D because before I bought the Pilot I had a 1989 Cherokee with 4WD low. That was a sweet SUV and I loved taking it off road and into the snow.

I wish Jeep had a real successor to the XJ because I would have bought it. The Liberty is the right size but it's just too ugly with those odd looking headlamps, exaggerated fenders and bumpers.

xsdbs 07-24-2012 01:48 PM

Re: Upgraded to 430N - First thoughts

1) Are you using any of the voice commands to navigate thru your library?
2) Why do you have to take your eyes of the road to look doown at the iPod? You should be able to use the radio screen to navigate thru the library.

Quote:

Originally Posted by talon38c (Post 655860)
I just bought a new 2012 Cherokee. Cloth seats, QTII and UConnect. I bought it with the 130 radio and ordered the 430N and backup camera. Last week the 430N came in and I had the dealer install it. Took them the entire day (it was the first time they had installed a 430N) but it installed without a hitch. :thumbsup:

Everything seems to work as I take the time to explore all the menus, controls, connections and attach various devices.

It's interesting that the Ipod is recognized as a storage device from the radio USB but as a music device from the center consol USB port. Whether that is by design or not It seems better that way since I can hide the device in the center console rather than connecting to the radios face with cables drapped all over the place.

The 430N recognizes the music files, songs, artists, etc. in this mode and I use the 430N display to navigate through the song choices but the menuing system is a bit clunky and it takes forever to find a song when there are 500+ songs on the device.

When the Ipod is connected using the bayonet connector selecting music is a bit easier since the Ipods menuing system is far better. The downside to it is you have to take your eyes off the road to look down at the device.

Navigating between the AM, FM, Satellite, other media and the Garmin Navigation is quite easy. I'm familiar with had Garmins so I like it. It is odd however that some of the menus are black and white while others are in color. My guess is that Chrysler had some of the programming chores and the black and white menus may have been a part of their effort.

I always pull off the road to input my destination addresses but I can see the annoyance in having to do that when you have a perfectly good passenger besides you who can enter the destination while you keep your eyes on the road.

I'll definitely need to replace the speakers. The Cherokees basic speakers are really awful. I just traded in my 2011 Honda Pilot and its baseline speakers are far, far, better but it did not have anything like UConnect at the price level I bought it at. It's always about tradeoffs. I'll definitely be getting some new speakers installed once I figure out what is available.

I bought the Grand Cherokee :D because before I bought the Pilot I had a 1989 Cherokee with 4WD low. That was a sweet SUV and I loved taking it off road and into the snow.

I wish Jeep had a real successor to the XJ because I would have bought it. The Liberty is the right size but it's just too ugly with those odd looking headlamps, exaggerated fenders and bumpers.