Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Audio/Visual/Navigation (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f155/)
-   -   Further Down the Rabbit Hole We Go (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f155/further-down-the-rabbit-hole-we-go-44687.html)

Eugene The Jeep 07-13-2012 11:56 PM

Further Down the Rabbit Hole We Go

If you have been following my other thread, I have been on a months-long search to find a way to kill my 2012 JGC's speed sensitive volume feature.

Today, I experienced a major leap forward in my search for information. I received a phone call back from Mitsubishi, manufacturer of the 430N RHB media center. They spoke with an engineer at Chrysler and the engineer confirmed that the programming for the speed sensitive volume control is built into the amplifier.

So, my question to anyone out there is this: has anyone either done any aftermarket work where they have circumvented the factory installed amp or replaced it altogether?

My initial plan was to connect an AllGig module to the headunit, which cuts speed info to the HU. This is all well and good, but a source told me that the amp is getting its speed signal via Can BUS wiring harness and not an analog signal from the HU. That means that no matter what I do to the HU, the amp will still modulate the sound.

So, if anyone has dealt with replacing the amp or abandoning the amp, id like to know if you encountered a Can BUS wiring harness at the amp, or was it wired directly from the HU. My suspicion tells me it's the former.

Any help/advice is appreciated.

Thanks,

Josh

armoredsaint 07-14-2012 09:19 AM

Re: Further Down the Rabbit Hole We Go

IBTSS again!

Eugene The Jeep 07-14-2012 10:27 AM

Ibtss?

FAUEE 07-14-2012 11:45 AM

If you want to do that, be prepared to remove everything head unit and amp related. Chrysler has used data driven amps for almost a decade now, and the source unit will not have a normal volume output when equipped with the amp, it will output all your stuff, but only at a set volume.

Good luck.

Scottina06 07-14-2012 12:43 PM

there should be threads here on upgrading the audio system. My durango had the audio system upgraded and two alpine amps installed so I know it can be done.

armoredsaint 07-14-2012 02:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scottina06 (Post 656449)
there should be threads here on upgrading the audio system. My durango had the audio system upgraded and two alpine amps installed so I know it can be done.

pics? i would love to see it :headbang:

FAUEE 07-14-2012 02:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scottina06 (Post 656449)

Typically the way this is done nowdays is picking up the signal after the amps have already done their thing, and just re-amplifying it (whether or not you use something to process it before your new amps).

Since the speed sensitive volume is done in the amp, it wouldn't help any to go this route.

Tybalt39 07-14-2012 02:31 PM

Looks like a complete gut/redesign.....

Eugene The Jeep 07-14-2012 03:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tybalt39 (Post 656476)

I'd sooner fly some Chrysler tech out from Detroit to LA and try to fix it by reprogramming (if thats even possible) before I gut this sound system. Probably a lot cheaper, and I have frequent flyer miles I can use;)

ColdCase 07-14-2012 06:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tybalt39 (Post 656476)

Yeah I was thinking the same thing, a PAC adapter to get pre amp out to a new sound processor so you can control crossovers and base/treble, and new amp(s). Could probably reuse the speakers, but few do. There are several pro audio shops that make there living gutting Chrysler audio systems.

Wonder why I seem to only hear speed sensing with some mitsi 430(x) heads, not the harmon 730(x)... don't they use the same amps? Maybe I just missed the reports. If so, perhaps a change over to the OEM 730N system would work... still large $$$

FAUEE 07-14-2012 10:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ColdCase (Post 656551)
Yeah I was thinking the same thing, a PAC adapter to get pre amp out to a new sound processor so you can control crossovers and base/treble, and new amp(s). Could probably reuse the speakers, but few do. There are several pro audio shops that make there living gutting Chrysler audio systems.

Wonder why I seem to only hear speed sensing with some mitsi 430(x) heads, not the harmon 730(x)... don't they use the same amps? Maybe I just missed the reports. If so, perhaps a change over to the OEM 730N system would work... still large $$$

Honestly, I think the speed sensitive volume is such a minor amount (and in most people's minds a great feature) that you just don't hear people with the 730N complaining about it. Truth be told, I wasn't really even sure if my 430N had it at all, I thought it did, but wasn't sure.

Eugene The Jeep 07-14-2012 10:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FAUEE (Post 656650)
Honestly, I think the speed sensitive volume is such a minor amount (and in most people's minds a great feature) that you just don't hear people with the 730N complaining about it. Truth be told, I wasn't really even sure if my 430N had it at all, I thought it did, but wasn't sure.

It's more obvious at higher volumes. Anything over 15 and it really becomes apparent. It's especially obvious when you are driving around the city all day, like me. Red light or stop sign, music lowers; green light, gets louder, etc. Really irritating. I really wish there was a fix for this that wasn't so invasive. I will probably cost me at least $1,500 to rework things (ie, new head unit with integrated amp to circumvent the existing amp + modules to make the steering wheels controls function and the back up camera as well) and then hope that there are no glitches.

Makes me miss the days of the tape deck. :)