Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Trouble Shooting/Problems/Service (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/)
-   -   2012 Flipper Switch Access (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/2012-flipper-switch-access-44693.html)

vzwman 07-14-2012 08:32 AM

2012 Flipper Switch Access

I've been encountering an issue for about 1 week now where, when the Jeep is unlocked, the flipper glass will unlock on it's own. I can actually hear the latch actuate usually once, but sometimes it's 2-3-4 times in a row. I don't have the FOB remote that opens the glass. May question is I am going to replace the flipper switch, but I have no idea how to get to it. Can you remove the chrome cover from the outside are I am going to need to remove the trim on the inside to get access to the flipper switch. Any help would be grateful.

theyoungjeepguy 07-14-2012 10:09 AM

Re: 2012 Flipper Switch Access

Okay so I'm going to assume that you want to get at the Flip-Up Glass Latch.
Yes you are going to need to take off the interior trim of the liftgate.

first disconnect the negative battery cable and isolate it.

then remove the interior liftgate trim

use something to mark the latch so it will be easier for you to install it back.

disconnect the electrical connectors.

remove those two nuts that are securing the latch to the inside of the liftgate.

now you can remove the latch.

RageOfFury 07-14-2012 11:13 AM

I had the exact same problem. It's a faulty switch on under the chrome trim. Dealer replaced it on mine and I haven't had the issue since.

vzwman 07-14-2012 11:31 AM

Great thanks, but to be clear I am replacing the "flipper switch" that opens the glass on the rear hatch. The switch is located inside the chrome piece that is above your license plate. I am not replacing the latch that opens it, but the switch that controls the the latch. So the question is "How do I get the chrome piece off". Can it be removed from the outside or am I going to need to remove the inside trim off the rear hatch to access screws, nuts, etc... to release the chrome piece. Thanks Again

RageOfFury 07-14-2012 11:35 AM

Yes the problem is with the switch under the chrome piece. I don't see why you want to do this yourself as your vehicle is under warranty. Let your dealer do it, won't cost you a penny.

theyoungjeepguy 07-14-2012 11:58 AM

Oh, okay. So for that switch piece you are still going to have to remove the inner liftgate trim. once you do that you are going to have to locate four fasteners that hold that light bar in place, they're evenly spaced and all look the same so it shouldnt be much trouble finding them, then disconect the connector for the electrical and there you go bud.

Totally 80's 07-14-2012 06:25 PM

I had my '11 Overland Summit in the dealer for the same issue last week. They replaced the switch and the entire chrome piece... They said this was done because it could only be ordered as one unit? Maybe they broke my chrome piece getting it off? Regardless, it doesn't pop open on its own any more.

They also fixed my "key not in vehicle" issue by issuing two new key fobs and replacing a module that reads them. As a bonus, the new fobs have the flipper glass button... Which my old fobs didn't have!

Aaron
Rugged Brown 2011 JGC Overland Summit

vzwman 07-14-2012 07:03 PM

Great thanks for all the feedback. As far as letting the Jeep dealer take care of it is a joke in my area. The Jeep dealer here would destroy more than and $26.00 switch Part # 68083081AA getting the job done. I bought the switch myself. In noway would I ever take my Jeep to the dealer ship were I live. The only Jeep dealer that I have used and would do so again is over 2 hours away. The Jeep dealer here gives a new meaning to "Shade Tree Mechanic" work. Thanks Again

kennzz05 07-14-2012 08:01 PM

dodge dealer? or are they all the same
where do u live anyways?

vzwman 07-14-2012 09:19 PM

Dothan Alabama. The best place I have find is in Montogery Alabama. We have only 2 dealers in our area 1 in Dothan and the other in Enterprise. Both dealers are piss poor when it comes to any repair work. Everytime I have every had any work done at either of the then here they always end up breaking something are want you to leave your Jeep with them for days just to do several hours of work. The one in Dothan replaced my transmission with a new factory re-manned unit in my 2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee H.O and I started getting high temp codes and it was because they broke the bracket that holds the transmission lines going to the radiator and the lines were laying on the exhaust pipe. They took tie wraps and tried to hold the lines back in place put the exhaust was too hot and it melted them cause them to get on the exhaust pipe. They knew that they broke the bracket and wouldn't order a replacement to make it right. Unreal as too what people will try to get away with. I don't see how these people stay in business.