Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f5/)
-   -   Looking at an 05 WK (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f5/looking-at-an-05-wk-44746.html)

DaMitsuMan 07-15-2012 03:02 PM

Looking at an 05 WK

Hey guys. I am most likely moving up from my WJ to a WK in the very near future. I am going to take a look at this tomorrow. Does this seem like a good deal and what should I be looking for when I go. Any problem areas I should pay attention to or anything? Thanks in advance, and if I do get this, my black reps will be getting thrown on.

http://www.lomiraauto.com/vehicle-de...-wi-id-3235590

SvenskaJeepGuy 07-15-2012 03:17 PM

Re: Looking at an 05 WK

That looks like a nice WK

dr.lee.baugh 07-15-2012 03:26 PM

Aside from the typical things you should check with any used car,you should make sure the joystick on the navigation unit works. On the early REC models, these had a tendency to break and I have seen some dealerships remove the navigation DVD to try and get this by potential buyers.

There are a few common problem spots on these vehicles as well, but at that mileage most should still be alright. I would check to make sure there is no clunking when shifting between Park, Reverse and Drive which could indicate a worn axle isolator bushings(s).

I would also get it up to highway speed, and make sure there is no differential whine which could indicate a worn pinion bearing.

With it having such low mileage (38,000 over 7-8 years), I would try to check maintenance records as well. I would be concerned that the vehicle may have gone a year between service since the mileage was so low (which, of course, is not good!) rather than being taken in based on time in service.

If the thing is in good shape and doesn't need any work done, I would say that is an alright price, but would still try to get them to come down a little bit. Personally, I would aim for 15,500 if there is no work to be done. Anything that needs attention I would take off that number.

Good luck!

DaMitsuMan 07-15-2012 03:28 PM

Also if anyone can chime in about the Ipod hook up in the REC units that would be great. Otherwise I might be putting my Pioneer DVD player in it...

SvenskaJeepGuy 07-15-2012 04:09 PM

i know you wont be able to run a lockpick with that rec. so no backup camera,dvd or ipod connection that way

DaMitsuMan 07-15-2012 04:59 PM

They actually ordered a new REC unit because the joystick was broken so I won't have to worry about that, even though I will most likely be using my Pioneer anyway. My parents actually went yesterday to look at it while I was at a wedding. They said it was spotless. It was a leased vehicle. The only problem is there is a slight hint of smoke from cigarretes. I will make them odor bomb and clean everything before I even think about signing papers.

DSRKVR 07-17-2012 10:38 PM

Interested to see you impressions upgrading from a WJ 4.7L HO to a 5.7L WK. Thinking about doing the same...

HEMI05 07-18-2012 12:13 PM

you going to love the 05WK:) Congrats

stashgto 07-18-2012 01:16 PM

The truck looks awesome tell the guy you want to take a long test drive, and then work on that price some.

Rob07WK 07-18-2012 01:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaMitsuMan (Post 656894)

No, seems like much too much $ for an 05', even with real low miles.

SvenskaJeepGuy 07-18-2012 01:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob07WK (Post 658328)
No, seems like much too much $ for an 05', even with real low miles.

Used car prices have skyrocketed, thats not a bad deal anymore.

Jon Krol 07-19-2012 06:00 PM

I paid $13k for my 05 WK LTD with 4wd, leather, etc.. Had 76K on the clock. I had to install a Mygig RER as it has the standard am/fm/cd deck. Very similar to yours but mine doesn't have a moon roof which I am glad about that. No leaks or debris collects. I rarely used the one on my WJ.