Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Troubleshooting/Problems (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f203/)
-   -   5 lb oil pressure at idle... FOUND PROBLEM! (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f203/5-lb-oil-pressure-at-idle-found-problem-44787.html)

bsmith0612 07-16-2012 11:26 AM

5 lb oil pressure at idle... FOUND PROBLEM!

4.0L Straight Six

I know, everyone is probably saying "Oh man, not another low oil pressure thread" but this has a solution.

I recently rebuilt my engine and have yet to put many miles on it. (working on it little by little to get it how i like) I bought a full rebuilt kit for it. including new oil pump.

When my engine gets warm, my oil pressure drops to 5 lbs. I properly installed the oil pump and primed it. I was beginning to wonder about this, and started to get pretty irritated. i installed a mechanical gauge to be certain it was true. i got p!$$ed the other day and dropped my oil pan (with intentions to put in a High Volume oil pump) and say something shiny by my cam...

This was a cam bearing. 3 of 4 cam bearings have walked out, and got chewed up by the cam. second valvetrain rebuild in less than 200 miles!! Needless to say, im pulling my engine out again.

SO... like ive read on other forums, a Jeep's low oil pressure problem could very well be your bearings. Drop the oil pan and check...

My question is... Since i cannot find a cam for a 99 WJ 4.0, are ALL 4.0L Camshafts the same? some places say yes, some places say no. Im thoroughly lost. Advance Auto Parts lists the same part number for a 99 XJ and 99 WJ for camshafts, so i would believe so...

hoffmanestates 07-16-2012 04:53 PM

try dealer or Craigslist for a wreck.

Turbo charged G2X using tapatalk 2

bsmith0612 07-17-2012 01:01 AM

Re: 5 lb oil pressure at idle... FOUND PROBLEM!

Quote:

Originally Posted by hoffmanestates (Post 657400)
try dealer or Craigslist for a wreck.

id thought about that. but i put $1300 into rebuilding this engine, id hate to throw used parts in it.

2005JGC 07-17-2012 02:20 AM

your likely going to need a new block... I dont know what the aftermarket has to offer but I know there is a TSB reguarding cam bearings walking out and as far as mopar options, there are none other than a motor. They walk out because there is too much clearance, and there is no fixing that without a new block.

Again, a machine shop may have a trick or some aftermaket co may have options but I have heard of no such repairs.

hoffmanestates 07-17-2012 09:10 AM

ouch. awesome i6

bsmith0612 07-17-2012 09:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2005JGC (Post 657640)
your likely going to need a new block... I dont know what the aftermarket has to offer but I know there is a TSB reguarding cam bearings walking out and as far as mopar options, there are none other than a motor. They walk out because there is too much clearance, and there is no fixing that without a new block.

Again, a machine shop may have a trick or some aftermaket co may have options but I have heard of no such repairs.

Where do you find this TSB at? I checked wjjeeps.com but couldnt seem to find it. Im rather curious to read it.

The part that gets me, and leads me to believe i wont need a new block, is the fact that the factory bearings were still where they should be after 147 thousand miles. my new ones, walked out in less than 200 miles... They were also not a common name bearing (dont remember the brand) i can get Clevites from work for like $17.

Chaoul1 07-17-2012 11:09 AM

Stroker Kit!

bsmith0612 07-17-2012 11:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chaoul1 (Post 657758)
Stroker Kit!

I was considering it actually. Havent really looked into prices too much though. being as that i just rebuilt it i was just going to stick with .020 over

2005JGC 07-17-2012 02:41 PM

Sorry, thinking back it was probably a starcase, which wouldnt be published to the public anywhere... ill look for it.

bsmith0612 07-17-2012 03:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2005JGC (Post 657857)
Sorry, thinking back it was probably a starcase, which wouldnt be published to the public anywhere... ill look for it.

If i have a sticker on the inside of my hood or core support (dont remember which) with a number hand written on it, saying "This vehicle has had modifications done... blah blah blah" and its a Chrysler sticker, is there a way i can look up that number and find what was done to it? This Jeep came from PA, I live in Ohio, and it has California Emissions. So i was curious as to what was done to it (at a dealer i assume??)

2005JGC 07-17-2012 06:32 PM

that is just a pcm software update label... Your pcm has been updated in the past.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk 2

bsmith0612 07-17-2012 10:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2005JGC (Post 657968)
that is just a pcm software update label... Your pcm has been updated in the past.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk 2

oh okay. so its nothing i really need to worry about then?