Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Troubleshooting/Problems Discussion (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f77/)
-   -   05 WK - Horn & Cruise Control Issues (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f77/05-wk-horn-and-cruise-control-issues-44809.html)

JBert 07-16-2012 07:38 PM

05 WK - Horn & Cruise Control Issues

Hey gang-

After replacing the heater core several months ago, my horn and cruise control don't work and the airbag light is lit. I've checked the connections several times, and had my buddy hook up his scanner only to find an open circuit code being produced.

I'm stumped on what can be unplugged or causing this. Any suggestions?

2005JGC 07-16-2012 09:09 PM

Re: 05 WK - Horn & Cruise Control Issues

have you looked at both sides of your clock spring? it sounds like a clockspring problem... did you remove the steering wheel? if you did and it turned while out of the vehicle, when you reinstalled it in a different position, it can and will stretch and break the cable in the clockspring...

ALL of those complaints will be caused by a broken clockspring or unplugged clockspring, especially if the airbag light is a driver squib 1 circuit open or similar (wheel airbag).

JBert 07-16-2012 09:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2005JGC (Post 657537)
have you looked at both sides of your clock spring? it sounds like a clockspring problem... did you remove the steering wheel? if you did and it turned while out of the vehicle, when you reinstalled it in a different position, it can and will stretch and break the cable in the clockspring...

ALL of those complaints will be caused by a broken clockspring or unplugged clockspring, especially if the airbag light is a driver squib 1 circuit open or similar (wheel airbag).

I haven't looked at it. The steering wheel was left on and the entire column assembly was laid on it's side - so it could have turned. Didn't realize that the clock spring could cause all those issues!

SvenskaJeepGuy 07-16-2012 10:01 PM

sounds like a clockspring............. they are like $700

2005JGC 07-17-2012 12:36 AM

sorry, reading my post it was wildly unclear, let me rephrase some things, I would check the connector at the clockspring, the only way the wheel would turn to where the clockspring could overturn would be if the wheel was disconnected from the steering shaft. if you didnt do that you didnt rip the guts apart in the clockspring, the fact that there are 3 separate problems all going through the clockspring, and open circuit codes, you likely have an unplugged connector at the clockspring.

JBert 07-19-2012 10:24 PM

So there's a chance that I can take the steering wheel off and just have to correct a wire issue instead of replacing the whole thing?! I'll definitely give that a shot.

2005JGC 07-20-2012 12:11 AM

pull the shroud off the column and look at the bottom of the column near the steering wheel, there should be a connector (a couple of them) there going into the clockspring.