Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Engine Performance/Intake/Exhaust (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f183/)
-   -   K&N or OEM? (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f183/k-and-n-or-oem-44831.html)

tfranzone 07-17-2012 12:38 PM

K&N or OEM?

Just wanted to get an opinion on the subject from fellow WK owners.. i have a 4.7L V Laredo...

Do you guys think K&N drop in air filters alone really make any difference as opposed to using the stock air filters? Other than being reusable, do they actaully provide any real benefits?... some people say they do and some say they are just a sham and in fact are worse for your engine.

Thoughts on the topic? Do you use one? Have you seen improvements or negative effects? Would you buy one?

Thanks.

jrjeep 07-17-2012 12:44 PM

Re: K&N or OEM?

I had a drop in k&n for a little over a yr.
To be honest i did not see any differece at all.
Then i switched over to a k&n intake and thats where
all the good was at.

I say spend that extra buck and by yourself an intake..
you wont regret it

Kman09JGC 07-18-2012 12:34 AM

same here. Had a K&N drop in on my 09 4.7 didnt do much. Installed the K&N 63 1548 air intake a couple weeks ago made a big difference.

SvenskaJeepGuy 07-18-2012 01:37 AM

The drop in will save you money over the long run by not having to keep buying $25 throwaway filters. You wont get any performance gains from it

brentwoodkris 07-18-2012 09:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SvenskaJeepGuy (Post 658145)
The drop in will save you money over the long run by not having to keep buying $25 throwaway filters. You wont get any performance gains from it

Agreed. However, I also noted that my IAT dropped by a few degrees on average with the K&N drop in. Probably due to less restriction and therefore faster/more air allowed into the tube.

tfranzone 07-18-2012 01:01 PM

Cool. thanks guys..
So basically if I could get one for cheap, it wouldnt hurt.. at least safe me the replacing of the stock one when needed.. and MAYBE it will drop my IAT...
plus will be good if I ever decide to get an Intake in the future..

brentwoodkris 07-18-2012 01:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tfranzone (Post 658315)
Cool. thanks guys..
So basically if I could get one for cheap, it wouldnt hurt.. at least safe me the replacing of the stock one when needed.. and MAYBE it will drop my IAT...
plus will be good if I ever decide to get an Intake in the future..

Too bad you can't use the SRT8 OEM takeoff like the 5.7L can. That's what I did and it's helping big-time. Plus it sounds great, and for $20 shipped, can't be beat. Next up is the takeoff IAT from the challenger/charger (I forget which) for a better temp reading.

tfranzone 07-18-2012 03:00 PM

Just got a used but in good shape K&N drop in for $15 shipped.. Thanks Skinner5.7!

Figured for that price, its better than doing the replacing of the stock filters.

06HemiWK 07-29-2012 07:29 AM

i would get a volant cai, afi, if you plan on driving through water and stuff. i was disapointed that k&n doesnt have a splash shield under the filter.

Laredo2006 08-14-2012 06:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 06HemiWK (Post 662696)
i would get a volant cai, afi, if you plan on driving through water and stuff. i was disapointed that k&n doesnt have a splash shield under the filter.

So if I get a k&n air filter but live in Canaa where it snows a lot, that is not a goo idea?

Also what is a good air intake that you don't have to oil?

Kayak83 08-14-2012 11:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Laredo2006 (Post 670260)
So if I get a k&n air filter but live in Canaa where it snows a lot, that is not a goo idea?

Also what is a good air intake that you don't have to oil?

AFE has a dry filter. I've never had an issue with my K&N for what it's worth. And I'm in a very rainy Seattle.

brentwoodkris 08-14-2012 11:27 AM

Just get a K&N drop in filter. There's virtually no extra performance gain with the FIPK system (at least not for the price). If you want, you can get the same gains as a FIPK system with a drop in K&N filter, a bit of flexi tubing, and a OEM SRT8 air tube. I'm out $40 for the filter new at Amazon, $20 for the SRT8 setup, and $15 for the extra tube. Money well spent.