Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f5/)
-   -   Have I bought a bunch of problems? (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f5/have-i-bought-a-bunch-of-problems-44835.html)

Jon Krol 07-17-2012 02:45 PM

Have I bought a bunch of problems?

I've owned Jeeps since 1994. I've had two XJ's and a WJ. Now I bought a WK to replace my WJ that was totaled last year. My WK is an 05 I bought this time last year with 76k miles on it. It is in extremely nice condition and appeared to be well taken care of. It's a LTD and has a lot of options which was a nice upgrade from the WJ Laredo it replaced. In the last year though the AC evap went out. $1,000.00 there. Then, a few months ago, the tranny went south and that was $3,000.00. AFTER 78k Miles! Unbelievable. Now, I replaced my standard AM/FM cd player with a Mygig RER shortly after buying the WK. Today, the sound went out on my $1,000.00 radio. Everything works, there's just no sound. Is my WK cursed? I still have my second XJ, a 96 Country and it just keeps on keepin on. Never needs anything but this WK has been a money toilet. I love it but it is chewing through my rather slim wallet. Is there a fix for the RER? Would a firmware update cure it. I know there is a new one out from earlier this year. The damn radio worked fine for almost a year and then all of a sudden, no audio at all. I'm really pissed at this jeep. I've never had this much go wrong on them.

SvenskaJeepGuy 07-17-2012 02:58 PM

Re: Have I bought a bunch of problems?

with the radio you could have blown the amp, or it might just be a firmware thing. what software are you running on it?

Jon Krol 07-19-2012 08:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SvenskaJeepGuy (Post 657866)
with the radio you could have blown the amp, or it might just be a firmware thing. what software are you running on it?

The firmware I'm using is 2.499.

tom58 07-19-2012 11:03 AM

disconnect the negativ from the batt. maybe itīs just been hanging itself up

Chaoul1 07-19-2012 12:14 PM

For 3k you could've bought yourself a better tranny from Sharadon, but too late now. Your not cursed.

Jon Krol 07-19-2012 05:34 PM

Got the radio working. Disco'd the neg terminal for 30 minutes and it came back on. Whew.

When I got the tranny work done the mech said he was going to install some upgraded parts to replace the ones that caused the tranny issues. He said there was a kit that had beefier components than the factory oem ones. It hadn't failed completely. In fact if you didn't know what the problem was I could have driven it for a while longer. Anyway, the money is spent. I paid it off. Hopefully I won't have any issues with it for a while. I do have one question maybe some one here can give me guidance on. When I'm driving on the highway occasionally I get a message to service the 4wd system. I've had the oil changed in it. In fact the first thing I did when I bought it was change all the petro fluids. I think I read a while back that the computer may need to be reflashed to correct that. Any info on that at all? Thanks all for your input.

Chaoul1 07-19-2012 05:56 PM

Either needs to be reflashed or you need to change the sensor. I had to replace the sensor and wire and the message went away.

JMLoughrey 07-19-2012 10:23 PM

I'm gonna throw this out there, it doesnt matter what car you buy, if its used, anything can happen, dont care if its a jeep, honda for bently. Cars are basically a giant running computer now adays, with software, and data modules.

Dont think of it as cursed, think of it as a virus.