Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Tires (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f185/)
-   -   Pending Brake /Rotors install - Quick questions (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f185/pending-brake-rotors-install-quick-questions-44849.html)

Technojeep 07-17-2012 07:36 PM

Pending Brake /Rotors install - Quick questions

My '08 Overland was needing some new brakes, so I picked up R1 Concepts Slotted and Cross Drilled rotors along with Wagner Thermo Quiet pads for front and rear. Have read the detailed instructions posted here so I think I am ready for the install however do have some quick questions that am hoping folks here can answer.

1. I thought I read some where that new Zinc coated rotors should be cleaned first in soapy water before install. Cant find that again so now not sure if I imagined that or not (I am getting old by the way :o). Anyone heard of this? Is it needed?

2. Picked up a packet of Permatex Ceramic Extreme Brake Lube to lubricate the pins as instructed. However, reading the product guide and they also recommend spreading on the back of the pads. Don't recall anyone here mentioning that so again curious if this is really needed. I do not want squeaking, as that drives me crazy. Thoughts if this is overkill or not.

3. Whats the best bedding procedure? I think I read 3 different techniques on this site. For those with exact same parts, what process did you follow?

Also anything new or gotcha's thatI should be aware would be greatly appreciated. Am planning to install this weekend if the weather is not to blazing hot to work in the garage.

Thanks

Escape 07-17-2012 10:59 PM

Re: Pending Brake /Rotors install - Quick questions

Be aware of the o-rings used on the assembly line to secure the rotors. Use a small curved pick to remove them.

The rear rotors will be on there. Wack them a few times to loosen them up as the parking brake is a drum style inside the rotor.

ALL rotors should be cleaned prior to install. Clean them good with brake cleaner, nothing else! Then let air dry.

Clean the calipers with brake cleaner also. Squeaking is caused by dirty/dusty brakes. Clean them when you rotate the tires. After cleaning lube the slides.

You can put the lube on the back of the pads if you want to, just make sure none gets on the pad material.

Bed the pads as per manufacturer recomendations!

d9hp 07-18-2012 03:03 PM

You're going to love the new rotors and brake pads. Way less noise and almost no brake dust with that setup. I've had the same for almost a year now and I love it.

I had to absolutely beat the ever living shit out of my rotors to get them off...so be prepared! Make sure you have the car secured very well before you start yanking and pulling.

Technojeep 07-18-2012 05:27 PM

Thanks guys. Still have a question on best technique to bed the pads. There were actually no instructions in the either of the Wagner boxes I received. Also checked their website but did not find anything listed. Will have to check again.

d9hp 07-18-2012 07:59 PM

I have always just braked hard from 50-60 after verifying I'm not going to die...but there may be a different route.

ms2020 07-18-2012 08:32 PM

ive always followed this
  • <LI class=list11>From a speed of 30 to 40 mph, brake gently until the car almost stops.
    <LI class=list11>Reaccelerate to 30 to 40 mph; stay there for 30 to 40 seconds while the brakes cool.
    <LI class=list11>Repeat this routine five times with no sudden or hard stops.
    <LI class=list11>Next, take the car up to 55 mph and brake gently down to 20 mph.
    <LI class=list11>Wait the same 30 to 40 seconds for the brakes to cool.
    <LI class=list11>Repeat this four times.
  • Do not drive vehicle for one hour to allow the rotors to cool.

dmsfun 07-22-2012 06:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by d9hp (Post 658483)
I have always just braked hard from 50-60 after verifying I'm not going to die...but there may be a different route.

This is the worst thing to do with new pads. Brake very easily for the first 500 miles (most all ceramic pads require this) to bed them in properly. High perfomance carbon metallic pads can have different procedures.

Scottina06 07-22-2012 06:54 PM

talk to steven at r1...he had some good advice for me when i got my r1's and stoptechs

ms2020 07-23-2012 06:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scottina06 (Post 659977)
talk to steven at r1...he had some good advice for me when i got my r1's and stoptechs

how do u like the stoptechs? i wanna gunna buy them when i did mine but ended up going stock