Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Tires (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f185/)
-   -   Rough Country vs Spidertrax Wheel Spacers (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f185/rough-country-vs-spidertrax-wheel-spacers-44882.html)

slowurroll 07-18-2012 12:03 PM

Rough Country vs Spidertrax Wheel Spacers
 
What are your guys' opinions on the two? I want to get some to give my jeep a bit wider wheel stance. The big reason why I am looking at the rough country spacers is the price. They are 2 for $60 vs. 2 for $100. Is there anyone that has any feedback on the two spacers? I see more people use spidertrax than rough country.

Kayak83 07-18-2012 12:43 PM

Re: Rough Country vs Spidertrax Wheel Spacers
 
I bought Rough Country spacers and sheered a bolt. Wouldn't have found out until a tire rolled off my jeep if it wasn't for my rear brakes replacement when the mechanic found it. Rough Country said they'd replace the bolt but I just threw them away and won't be getting spacers in the future. I almost bought some spidertrax and I hear really good things about them, but I just won't take the chance after that.

tfranzone 07-18-2012 12:48 PM

Re: Rough Country vs Spidertrax Wheel Spacers
 
I have 1.5" Spidertrax on my 08 WK and I havent had a problem with them at all.. they bump my 265/70/17s out just a bit passed the fenders. Give it a more aggressive look and my WK has handled better in turn.

Wheel spacers are a sensitive subject for some... some love them, some hate them.. if you are going to go with them, I would say go with the Spidertrax on the theory of you get what you pay for. (they are an integral piece of equipment)..but lots of people also seem to like the Rough Country ones. I went better safe than sorry and go the Spidertrax.. but the choice is yours and your alone. Those 2 are the most popular of brands. Go with whatever you can afford and feel best with.

Crashtown 07-18-2012 08:56 PM

Re: Rough Country vs Spidertrax Wheel Spacers
 
I have Spidertrax because they are both hub-centric & wheel-centric. Dunno of RC's are the same.

xJoshxx 07-18-2012 09:00 PM

Re: Rough Country vs Spidertrax Wheel Spacers
 
Spidertrax FTW Spun Aluminum VS CAST RC are cast so they are brittle.

Spidertrax also Hub/wheel centric.

When i had My WJ

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y10...p/DSC03387.jpg
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y10...p/DSC03388.jpg
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y10...p/DSC03389.jpg

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y10...p/DSC03395.jpg 265/75/16 with spidertrax

slowurroll 07-19-2012 01:52 AM

Re: Rough Country vs Spidertrax Wheel Spacers
 
Thanks for the input guys. Sounds like most people would go spridertrax. Looks like I might go that route too. I'm sketchy with the RC spacers after some of that feedback. Hopefully I will be picking some up next week :)

Can you answer me another question? I've heard that a lot of shops won't work on rigs with spacers. Is this true?

tfranzone 07-19-2012 10:53 AM

Re: Rough Country vs Spidertrax Wheel Spacers
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by slowurroll (Post 658605)
Thanks for the input guys. Sounds like most people would go spridertrax. Looks like I might go that route too. I'm sketchy with the RC spacers after some of that feedback. Hopefully I will be picking some up next week :)

Can you answer me another question? I've heard that a lot of shops won't work on rigs with spacers. Is this true?


Work on meaning?... roatating your tires?

Some have a problem, not sure why.. maybe they feel they dont want to be responsible if something goes wrong with them.. although.. i don't see how that is.. especially bc any shop should know how to work with wheel spacers..
I wouldnt worry about any issues.. if your taking your jeep to a shop and they dont want to work on it bc of them.. its their loss... take your business elsewhere.. I'm sure there are shops by you that will work on it. Shouldnt be a problem.

slowurroll 07-19-2012 11:52 AM

Re: Rough Country vs Spidertrax Wheel Spacers
 
From what I heard on these forums, I mean anything involving removing a wheel/tire. I swear I saw multiple posts that said a lot of shops won't work on them if they have wheel spacers. I'm sure I can find a shop that will. I was just curious after hearing about others having issues.

tfranzone 07-19-2012 11:55 AM

Re: Rough Country vs Spidertrax Wheel Spacers
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by slowurroll (Post 658736)
From what I heard on these forums, I mean anything involving removing a wheel/tire. I swear I saw multiple posts that said a lot of shops won't work on them if they have wheel spacers. I'm sure I can find a shop that will. I was just curious after hearing about others having issues.

yea, i wouldnt worry about it.

Kayak83 07-19-2012 12:15 PM

Re: Rough Country vs Spidertrax Wheel Spacers
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by slowurroll (Post 658736)
From what I heard on these forums, I mean anything involving removing a wheel/tire. I swear I saw multiple posts that said a lot of shops won't work on them if they have wheel spacers. I'm sure I can find a shop that will. I was just curious after hearing about others having issues.

Places like Les Schwab or Discount Tire won't work on wheel spacers around here, at least. They won't even rotate the tires if spacers are installed. But mechanics at normal shops most likely will.

Tire rotation is something you can do at home anyway for free and pretty quickly. Plus, if you have spacers installed, it gives you a chance to check them over and re-torque if necessary.

In response to the comment above about RC's being cast and not spun, the part most likely to fail on a spacer is the bolt. Also, RC's are hub-centric, just to clear that up.

Luck 07-19-2012 12:55 PM

Re: Rough Country vs Spidertrax Wheel Spacers
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kayak83 (Post 658300)
I bought Rough Country spacers and sheered a bolt. Wouldn't have found out until a tire rolled off my jeep if it wasn't for my rear brakes replacement when the mechanic found it. Rough Country said they'd replace the bolt but I just threw them away and won't be getting spacers in the future. I almost bought some spidertrax and I hear really good things about them, but I just won't take the chance after that.

I'd be willing to bet that was a result of loose lugnuts rather than a part failure. Did you use loctite and torque them back down after 500 miles?

Kayak83 07-19-2012 12:59 PM

Re: Rough Country vs Spidertrax Wheel Spacers
 
Yeah. Checked the torque regularly. Never notice them loose when I re-torqued, either. Used blue loctite.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:23 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 - JeepGarage.Org
The Jeep Grand Cherokee Owners Community