Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Interior/Exterior/Visual (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f176/)
-   -   SRT8 headlights on a Laredo? (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f176/srt8-headlights-on-a-laredo-44906.html)

Golgo13 07-19-2012 12:16 AM

SRT8 headlights on a Laredo?

Does anyone know if this is possible? I would like to get rid of my current headlights for the ones the SRT8 come equipped with. This is the route i'd like to take if it is a straight fit. Thanks for your responses in advance.

Scottina06 07-19-2012 12:33 AM

Re: SRT8 headlights on a Laredo?

yes...I did it to my Durango and GC4x4 did it to his laredo

Golgo13 07-19-2012 09:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scottina06 (Post 658591)
yes...I did it to my Durango and GC4x4 did it to his laredo

Thanks for the response. Did you change your lighting system to hid as well? Or did you keep your halogens?

Juan 07-19-2012 10:22 AM

@golgo the altitude I believe has the same headlight look as the srt-8. Most of them if not all of the altitudes come with the halogens.

I am also interested to see Scott's reply to your question in regards to converting halogen to LED

Golgo13 07-19-2012 10:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Juan (Post 658698)
@golgo the altitude I believe has the same headlight look as the srt-8. Most of them if not all of the altitudes come with the halogens.

I am also interested to see Scott's reply to your question in regards to converting halogen to LED

Yea, The only difference between the altitude and SRT8 headlights is the SRT8 has projectors. That and a few hundred dollars lol. I've contacted the parts department at a few dealerships where i'm located, and they all aren't able to give me a definite yes or no.

JTS97Z28 07-19-2012 11:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Golgo13 (Post 658706)
Yea, The only difference between the altitude and SRT8 headlights is the SRT8 has projectors. That and a few hundred dollars lol. I've contacted the parts department at a few dealerships where i'm located, and they all aren't able to give me a definite yes or no.

Well thats sort of true but there is more too it. The Limited, Overland, and SRT8 all have auto-leveling, bi-xenon HID projectors as well as smart beam high beams. The inner housing is also a DRL where as on the Laredo thats used for high beams.

So technically the Laredo Altitude and SRT8 headlights are more different than you think. Although you are correct, if your just looking at them cosmetically all you really notice is one has a projector and one doesnt.

So to the OP, are you mainly looking for the black bezel look, or the HID's, or both? Because if you just want HID's then find yourself a Limited or Overland headlight as they are identical to an SRT8 headlight with the exception of the one having a chrome bezel and the SRT8 having thr black bezel. Overland and Limited headlights are very easy to find as well. They are all over Ebay. I have yet to see a black bezeled SRT8 headlamp on ebay. Now if your just looking for the black bezel look and dont care about HID's, then the cheapest method would probably just be to buy new Altitude Laredo lights new. Either way if you add a Limited/Overland/SRT8 headlight the only thing your gonna get out of it would be the HID low beams and possibly the bi-xenon high beam if you know what your doing. Auto-level feature and smart beam would most likely be impossible to add, and no clue about how to get the DRL to work.

All Laredo headlights are identical except for that the Altitude has a black bezel.

Golgo13 07-19-2012 11:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JTS97Z28 (Post 658713)
Well thats sort of true but there is more too it. The Limited, Overland, and SRT8 all have auto-leveling, bi-xenon HID projectors as well as smart beam high beams. The inner housing is also a DRL where as on the Laredo thats used for high beams.

So technically the Laredo Altitude and SRT8 headlights are more different than you think. Although you are correct, if your just looking at them cosmetically all you really notice is one has a projector and one doesnt.

So to the OP, are you mainly looking for the black bezel look, or the HID's, or both? Because if you just want HID's then find yourself a Limited or Overland headlight as they are identical to an SRT8 headlight with the exception of the one having a chrome bezel and the SRT8 having thr black bezel. Overland and Limited headlights are very easy to find as well. They are all over Ebay. I have yet to see a black bezeled SRT8 headlamp on ebay. Now if your just looking for the black bezel look and dont care about HID's, then the cheapest method would probably just be to buy new Altitude Laredo lights new. Either way if you add a Limited/Overland/SRT8 headlight the only thing your gonna get out of it would be the HID low beams and possibly the bi-xenon high beam if you know what your doing. Auto-level feature and smart beam would most likely be impossible to add, and no clue about how to get the DRL to work.

All Laredo headlights are identical except for that the Altitude has a black bezel.

Thanks for clearing that up. I was speaking on cosmetics. With differences that you've mentioned between the the two headlights, it doesn't sound like a straight swap would be possible. What are your thoughts on that?

gc4x4 07-19-2012 12:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Golgo13 (Post 658717)
Thanks for clearing that up. I was speaking on cosmetics. With differences that you've mentioned between the the two headlights, it doesn't sound like a straight swap would be possible. What are your thoughts on that?

When I installed the oem hid projectors in my jeep, i bypassed the oem ballasts and used aftermarket ballasts along with a relay harness to get direct power from the battery , to get the high beams i modified two 9005 bulbs to fit into a 3157 sockets and the highs appear to work fine. The method i used didn't involve cutting any factory wires or messing with any electrical systems and i can return to stock with no problem if i want to.

Golgo13 07-19-2012 01:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gc4x4 (Post 658758)
When I installed the oem hid projectors in my jeep, i bypassed the oem ballasts and used aftermarket ballasts along with a relay harness to get direct power from the battery , to get the high beams i modified two 9005 bulbs to fit into a 3157 sockets and the highs appear to work fine. The method i used didn't involve cutting any factory wires or messing with any electrical systems and i can return to stock with no problem if i want to.

Thanks for your reply. How long did the process take? How involved was the install? What aftermarket ballast did you go with? Could you have used the oem ballast if you didn't want to go HID? Thanks

Scottina06 07-19-2012 01:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Golgo13 (Post 658689)
Thanks for the response. Did you change your lighting system to hid as well? Or did you keep your halogens?

yes...all the SRT headlights are HID

Scottina06 07-19-2012 01:15 PM

I simply made a OEM harness for the drivers side because there is a repair harness for that side. Its was very simple and I have instructions and part numbers in the durango forum. the pass side I just added an HID ballast like gc4x4

SWilliams 02-08-2014 10:01 AM

I have a 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo. I just bought new OEM SRT8 healights to replace it. As I look at the back of the old light as well as the new light, there seems to be more sockets that you would plug into then there is on the old light. I have no idea what all these sockets are for. Also I bought 9005 HID's and they don't seem to fit into the high beam twist slot. The flange on the bulb seems to big. I don't know if I got the wrong bulb or what. So i need to know what all the sockets on the SRT8 headlight account for, and if I got the wrong HID. Also is there any way to manually adjust the headlights for the SRT8.