Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Troubleshooting/Problems (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f181/)
-   -   Jeep WK randomly shuts off at stops (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f181/jeep-wk-randomly-shuts-off-at-stops-44916.html)

alexr40 07-19-2012 08:29 AM

Jeep WK randomly shuts off at stops

Hi. I am new to this forum :)

I tried searching but everything came up empty. May be i am not using the correct keywords??

Anyways.. I recently changed my 05 WK Limited(2wd) with a 05 WK Limited 4wd (QTII)

I was noticing that sometimes when stopped at traffic lights, the idle rpms will jump up and down a little bit, and felt kind of a misfire. In some cases (2 or 3 times a month) the jeep will shut off completely.

This usually happens too when turning at full lock while backing up, or in some situations when IDLE rpms goes very very low.

ANyways. I thought it was a problem of the 2wd WK and I was living with it. I got this new 4x4 and it does EXACTLY the same!

little misfire in idle, shuts off randomly at stops (has shut off on me like 3 times in 3 weeks) .

same idle rpm missing... exact replica.

I read somewere to check for transmission oil level because it was related to something with the converter.. I checked that in the 2wd and it was full and the problem was there...

Anyone has had this situation or how what it could be?

I was thinking in coilpack or sparkplugs but it WORKS like a charm and no misfire while driving, or even when flooring WIDEOPEN THROTTLE.

most of the time it idles great.. its just sometimes. If i put it on Neutral gear when it starts happening , sometimes it seems to stop misfiring...

dr.lee.baugh 07-19-2012 08:49 AM

Re: Jeep WK randomly shuts off at stops

Which motor?

Switchback 07-19-2012 07:06 PM

Yea, I have this issue. Still happens to me, I replaced the TPS. I will be doing EGR valve soon, and then PCM after that.

SoCalMoparWK 07-19-2012 07:15 PM

I had the same problem except it was power related....all I did was replace the battery and it solve the issue. A week battery will cause your vehicle to shut off or idle wierd. It mostly will happen when you are turning or backing up when it stalls or shuts off.

JMLoughrey 07-19-2012 10:26 PM

ditto on the battery, the WKs is crazy sensitive to voltage problems, my car started having all sorts of stalling issues, he locks would go crazy locking for no reason, and would just plain not start.

Replaced battery, been fine for weeks.

remmy 07-20-2012 02:24 AM

I had the EXACT same problem. Once the EGR was replaced it ended up running even better and driving differently. Accleration changed, hesitation ended, even that pesky back and forth shift changing between 30/40mph

Gojeep 07-20-2012 04:07 AM

On my XJ it was caused by a faulty CPS. Do these have them as well?