Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f5/)
-   -   Jeep VIN Number Locations - HELP! Possible Car Fraud Victim! (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f5/jeep-vin-number-locations-help-possible-car-fraud-victim-44967.html)

WildVisionsWK 07-20-2012 08:34 PM

Jeep VIN Number Locations - HELP! Possible Car Fraud Victim!

Hey everyone. So, my Jeep has been giving me all sorts of mechanical problems in the 7 months that I have owned it (it's now dead, too) however I now have reason to believe that I may have been sold a vehicle that is stolen or has had it's VIN swapped to hide something serious.

My car is a 2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 3.7L V6. It does not have power door locks, no sun roof, grey cloth interior, the basic REF radio with single CD slot, and basically no options. The body trim is black plastic, no chrome anywhere.

Yet when I enter the VIN (which matches my registration/paperwork) from my dash the car comes up as a 2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo Rocky Mountain Edition.

Uhm...what?

The Rocky Mountain Edition, according to these sites: WK Jeeps - Rocky Mountain Edition Yahoo! Autos comes with a variety of standard features including: two tone heated leather seats, sunroof, Boston Acoustics premium audio, keyless entry, among others.

I have none of these. There are a host of features which are standard on the Rocky Mountain Edition that are not present on mine.

In short, between this and the fact that the car is dead/will not turn on as of Tuesday after 7 months of ownership, I want to pursue action against the dealer because I have every reason to believe that there is something fraudulent going on. The car also has an arrest warrant associated with it, leading to me being pulled over numerous times for something I didn't even do! I would like to know from fellow WK Jeep owners, where else can I find the VIN number? I know about the one on the door jamb and on the dash, driver's side. I need to know if it can appear anywhere else (firewall? frame? etc) and if anyone can point me to where this is. If I can find a mismatch, that would be a key point in this case, and help shed light on the TRUE history of my car (as if the Rocky Mountain VIN is any better, it claims 'frame and unibody damage'). If there are any serial numbers on the engine or any other key parts that should also match/may be helpful, I'd love to know where I can find those as well.

Also, if anyone here has a Rocky Mountain Edition, I would love to speak to you about the options your car came standard with because something doesn't add up here.

SvenskaJeepGuy 07-20-2012 08:39 PM

Re: Jeep VIN Number Locations - HELP! Possible Car Fraud Victim!

i always thought the rocky mountain edition was a bare bones WK. i think there is a vin on the engine block as well

WildVisionsWK 07-20-2012 08:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SvenskaJeepGuy (Post 659313)
i always thought the rocky mountain edition was a bare bones WK. i think there is a vin on the engine block as well

Apparently it's a special edition that should have leather, a sunroof, fog lights, etc. Clearly something I don't have. It's strange. I can't explain it.

Do you know where the VIN on the engine block can be found? I may go digging for it today.

Milous 07-20-2012 08:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WildVisionsWK (Post 659309)
Yet when I enter the VIN (which matches my registration/paperwork) from my dash the car comes up as a 2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo Rocky Mountain Edition.

PM me the VIN and I can check a few things for you...

ms2020 07-20-2012 09:01 PM

check your frame rail, most cars have a hidden one there

Chaoul1 07-20-2012 09:22 PM

Check the Doors, Window VIN, front fenders (where you open the hood on top of the fender should be a VIN).

Rocky Mountain Edition was only in 2007.

WildVisionsWK 07-20-2012 09:29 PM

Tomorrow I am also going to head to a Jeep dealership and see if they will furnish a build sheet based on this VIN. That should explain things.

Strangely, I pulled a few more 05 Laredo VINs (Autotrader + eBay) and they, too, came up as Rocky Mountain. This is weird and doesn't sit well with me. I do know though that the dealer listed my WK on their site as a 'Rocky Mountain Edition' which it clearly is not.

HemiDawg 07-20-2012 09:53 PM

If you haven't already, send your info to Milous - he is one you can trust on here.

WildVisionsWK 07-20-2012 10:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HemiDawg (Post 659334)
If you haven't already, send your info to Milous - he is one you can trust on here.

Yep, I already sent it over. :) Waiting to hear what he says about it. I'm just so upset that I am locked into a terrible, expensive loan on a car that was giving me problems since the first week of purchase. The dealer refuses to do anything about it, the car is dead, and I'm left paying almost $300/month for a paperweight of questionable origins.

I like WK Jeeps, but I wish my experience with one could have been more positive. I had big plans for this car and had already put a bit of money/time into mods and now I feel that it was wasted.

Also, a question for those of you who have WKs here. When I purchased it, the VIN produced an Autocheck report that stated it has 'frame and unibody damage'. I was about to back out of the sale and not buy it, but the dealer showed me photos of the front/rear bumpers that showed some minor scuffs and dents that looked like someone backed this thing into a gas station pole with both ends. There was NO crunching of the bumper and it looked like an easy 'pop it out and repaint it' job. So...what kind of impact is needed on these WKs to produce a 'frame and unibody damage' note in a vehicle report? Could the dealer have patched up the car to some extent, put on bumpers from a scrap yard, and THEN photographed it and passed that off as the damage? I want to know how much abuse a WK needs to go through to obtain such a mark on it's title. If this vehicle was wrecked, I feel I need to know.

Milous 07-20-2012 11:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WildVisionsWK (Post 659309)
My car is a 2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 3.7L V6. It does not have power door locks, no sun roof, grey cloth interior, the basic REF radio with single CD slot, and basically no options. The body trim is black plastic, no chrome anywhere.

The on-line "VIN decoders" frequently give inaccurate information...

Your vehicle is not a Rocky Mountain Edition, it is a standard Laredo Sport 4x2 with the following options:

Adjustable Roof Rail Crossbars
Cargo Compartment Cover
Vehicle Information Center
Cargo Convenience Group
Traveler/Mini Trip Computer
P245/65R17 OWL All Terrain Tires

I'll PM you the full list of standard equipment.

NightFury 07-21-2012 09:05 PM

I've also had this happen with my 95 limited. When i ran the VIN online it came up as an Orvis when it was clearly a Limited.

Sucks to hear about your problems. Whats the problem with the Jeep?

SvenskaJeepGuy 07-21-2012 11:55 PM

So you knew it was in an accident, bought it, problems developed and now you want the dealer to do something about something that you already knew about?