Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Export Grand Cherokee 2011+ (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f190/)
-   -   Steering wheel shake (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f190/steering-wheel-shake-44994.html)

750 Valve 07-21-2012 06:38 PM

Steering wheel shake

Hi Jeepers, i just picked up my brand new GC Overland during the week and absolutely love it! Last night was the first trip on the freeway and at about 100ish I could feel some steering wheel shake which you would normally put down to a wheel alignment, its not a massive shake but enough feedback in the wheel for you to notice and question what the heck is going on.

Being brand new I would not normally expect this but if its just a wheel alignment then I can handle that.

My questions - have others experienced this? Do you think the dealer would cough for the wheel alignment? I would ring them and just ask them but they aren't open on Sundays... apparently Gosford is just an overgrown country town! :lol:

fix69er 07-21-2012 07:06 PM

Re: Steering wheel shake

why are you doing 100km/h?

from manual ENGINE BREAK-IN
RECOMMENDATIONS.

"Drive moderately during the first 300 miles
(500 km). After the initial 60 miles (100 km),
speeds up to 50 or 55 mph (80 or 90 km/h) are
desirable.
While cruising, brief full-throttle acceleration
within the limits of local traffic laws, contributes
to a good break-in. Wide-open throttle acceleration
in low gear can be detrimental and
should be avoided."

my laredo pulls slightly to left, but not vibration. Perhaps vibration might improve as suspension /break disk etc get bedded in.

750 Valve 07-21-2012 07:17 PM

I am over 100kms, closer to 200kms.

We were only on a freeway for about 10 minutes as we were running late for an antenatal class - couldn't bare the nagging if we were late! I was conscious of not sitting at constant revs but sat on 110 for the 10mins I was on the freeway, which was when I noticed the feedback in the wheel.

"Drive moderately" is a very subjective statement...

yoda42 07-21-2012 08:12 PM

Sounds like wheel balance, take it back to dealer and have them pay for a wheel balance, I would also ask to have the wheel alignment checked (all 4 wheels)

ENFORCER 07-21-2012 08:13 PM

I would think it is more to do with wheel balance than alignment.
It might be worth going to the local tyre place and getting a rebalance of the wheels.

Mendo 07-21-2012 09:53 PM

I have seen other threads where the tyres weren't properly balanced when the took delivery. Depends on how long you want to be without the car but I would take it back to the dealer and ask for all four to be balanced again.

750 Valve 07-22-2012 02:40 AM

Thanks to all, I'll give the dealer a ring tomorrow and see what we can do. I will see if they can take care of it on the 1000km free service, its currently on 340km so it should come around pretty soon.

AussieWK2 07-22-2012 05:27 AM

A lot of guys are complaining their tyres are wearing early, if yours are out of balance I wouldn't wait for the useless 1000kms "service". I'd fix it now.

750 Valve 07-23-2012 12:38 AM

Yeah gonna see if they can squeeze me in this week.

GlennR 07-23-2012 12:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 750 Valve (Post 660084)
Yeah gonna see if they can squeeze me in this week.

Keep us posted Mate. I've got a bit of scrubbing going on front left so would be interested what you find out. Mine pulls slightly left but I put that down to the 45deg camber on Queensland roads!!

WK2 Rover 09-22-2012 12:11 AM

My 2011 has 10K miles and the steering wheel now vibrates with highway driving. I put Bridgestone Dueler AT Revo 2 tires on a few thousand miles ago, which included free balancing and alignment. After the Firestone dealer re-balanced everything is fine.