Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK2 - (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/)
-   -   An SRT horror story... (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/an-srt-horror-story-45026.html)

Dan JGC 07-22-2012 06:44 PM

An SRT horror story...

1 Attachment(s)
I was doing some furniture shopping today in Miami ... a very sketchy part of Miami near the design district where these stores are located.

As I was leaving I noticed a gorgeous new SRT in red in a bay of a small self-serve carwash. I thought my GC could use a quick hose down so I pulled in. I met the SRT owner guy and we chatted a bit. It is his fifth GC and coincidentally my fifth GC too. The SRT is impressive in person and the red looks amazing! He only had 1,000 miles on it and he was very proud of it too.

Was fun to see one up close and looks great. I asked if I could take a picture of it and he said sure (see photo). I wished him well and went to spray down my GC.

A few minutes later...I hear a scraping CRUNCH!!!

I go over ... the guy sideswiped his driver's door into a cement utility pole as he was backing up...yep, the pole in the photo. The driver's door is totaled...

OUCH...I didn't ask to take a photo of the damaged door as it was too gruesome to be able to post.

Scottina06 07-22-2012 06:50 PM

Re: An SRT horror story...

ouch!

Mongoose9400 07-22-2012 06:59 PM

What about the backup sensors, back up camera, and mirrors. A total dumbass to hit something with all the technology.

Still sucks.

Sent from my iPhone 4S

SW03ES 07-22-2012 07:02 PM

The sensors don't tell you anything when an obstacle is to your side, if he hit the post on the drivers door, all the technology in the world wouldn't help him.

To call the guy a dumbass? I think we've all done something stupid like that in our lives. If you haven't yet...you will.

Sucks...

Mongoose9400 07-22-2012 07:09 PM

From that picture. If you put it in reverse you'd hopefully see that in the camera. Granted he hit the side door the sensor could still pick it up. My sensors pick up objects to the side when I'm baking out of my driveway, i.e. trash cans off to the side. Also, what are the mirrors for? Lastly the lowest tech solution of all, a over the shoulder head check. I still stand at my position. It sucks, but how do you miss that size of a pole??

Sent from my iPhone 4S

Dan JGC 07-22-2012 08:29 PM

He was backing up a lot then turned his wheel to the right while backing up and crunch.....that made the vehicle swing left as he was backing up so the post was about midway between the passenger's and driver's door when he initiated the turn. There was about a foot of scraps and all dented in, including the door handle. The glass didn't break but there is no fixing that door as it was crunched badly. It was UUUGGGGLY... I can see what he was trying to do was to back way up but not into the street and then drive around the pole was he had to back up to maneuver around a car vacuum station. If you had seen what happened, you'd almost cry for the guy.

He was a really nice guy too...

Scottina06 07-22-2012 08:41 PM

my sensors pick up stuff to the side as well. My camera is clear..awsoem camera IMO

DAVY27 07-22-2012 09:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mongoose9400 (Post 659985)
From that picture. If you put it in reverse you'd hopefully see that in the camera. Granted he hit the side door the sensor could still pick it up. My sensors pick up objects to the side when I'm baking out of my driveway, i.e. trash cans off to the side. Also, what are the mirrors for? Lastly the lowest tech solution of all, a over the shoulder head check. I still stand at my position. It sucks, but how do you miss that size of a pole??

Sent from my iPhone 4S

x2.

look at the size of that pole :worried: :lol: seriously, there's something call EYES. use em

Dan JGC 07-22-2012 10:59 PM

If you look close at the photo you'll see a car behind him and also a reflection in the side of the GC of the vacuum obstacle. I think the SRT owner was trying to maneuver between both and most have lost sight of the cement pole. Had that driver not pulled up behind like that and been in the way, the SRT owner could have backed up without a problem...

Anyway, a sad day after cleaning up the SRT for sure...

SW03ES 07-23-2012 12:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dan JGC (Post 660014)
If you had seen what happened, you'd almost cry for the guy..

Nice folks like you and me sure...some armchair quarterbacks are just jerks.

stashgto 07-23-2012 05:53 AM

WOW his truck didn't tell him something was there LOL.

BuckeyeSRT 07-23-2012 07:24 AM

Yikes! I saw a silver one this weekend at a Hotel I was staying at in Elgin Il. So much nicer in person but, I still don't regret canceling my order. :)